Raisins

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Raisins

Postby Quinda » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Where do you find the best raisins? What brand and are they large box or small boxes. The ones I find in small boxes do not stick together but are not very tasty, They are from Dollar General. The ones in large boxes take me a while to eat and they stick together. I have not tried the golden ones. Are they better? I like raisins and cinnamon in oatmeal.
Quinda

Re: Raisins

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:56 pm

I like the ones from Aldi. I find the more expensive ones are drier, so if you like sticky, stick with cheap. You’ll have to shop around and try them out to see what you like. They are more cost-effective to get the larger containers.

The golden ones taste different. They aren’t as sweet.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:48 pm

I always try to buy organic, when possible, because grapes (hence raisins) tend to be high on the pesticide residues. Trader Joe's sells 1 pound bags by us for I think $3.69. They do tend to stick together but are pretty easy to separate by hand.

If you can't get organic, don't sweat it; you are way ahead of the game by eating so healthfully by following The McDougall Plan. :nod:
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:49 am

Also, be sure to read the label. I've read that many brands add oil to prevent them sticking together, even organic ones, but luckily I've never run into any. I usually grab store brand or Sun Maid when I need them, whichever is cheapest that week. I don't care how dry they are - I only use them in Jeff's SNAP recipes.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning