Coconut Extract Brand Suggestions

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Coconut Extract Brand Suggestions

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:03 pm

What brand of coconut extract is everyone using for recipes?

In the past I used to buy the little 1 ounce bottles of McCormick, but could never really detect any coconut flavor that I can remember. I looked around Amazon and not one of the many extracts had a favorable rating - they were either too full of sugar, had oil, reeked of alcohol, or just had no real coconut flavor.

The last time I bought any was probably before Amazon even existed, that's how long ago. I'm not adverse to shopping on-line, just don't want to waste my money ($16 an ounce?!? Are they kidding??) on a flavoring that has no flavor or isn't healthy.

How important *is* a bit of coconut flavor in something like Mary McDougall's Thai Green Curry Rice?
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... Curry-Rice
That's probably the only occasion I would ever use the extract. We're not fans of coconut in this family to begin with - the last time any of us had any was maybe 40 or so years ago in a Mounds bar. Would that recipe be just as good without the extract in the almond milk?
VeggieSue

Re: Coconut Extract Brand Suggestions

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:17 am

If you don't like the flavor of coconut, then don't buy coconut extract or coconut milk or anything coconut. And don't make Thai curries. Coconut is a characteristic of Thai curry. Make something else. Many Indian style curries do not use coconut. If you like curries, but not coconut, look for Indian style curries instead. You will find many good recipes. Just leave out the oil.
Vanilla Orchid

Re: Coconut Extract Brand Suggestions

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:10 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:If you don't like the flavor of coconut, then don't buy coconut extract or coconut milk or anything coconut. And don't make Thai curries. Coconut is a characteristic of Thai curry.

I've been not eating Thai food for over 66 years already, so I guess I won't be eating any Thai food for a bit longer.

It was just going to be, as Dr. Lisle says, an experiment. We love so many other of Mary McDougall's recipes I thought I would give this a try. Our tastes have changed so much over the years, and that was probably the only recipe from the 2 "McDougall Made Easy/Irresistible" set I never tried since I bought them when they first came out, so I figured, "What the heck" and finally make it.
VeggieSue

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning