crisp cookies?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

crisp cookies?

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 pm

Sometimes you need cookies. Good cookies. Not cookies that taste like health food. My definition of a good cookie is one that is crisp and flavorful. Need not be too sweet, but it should have a good flavor, either chocolate or something quite spicy, like ginger. Not an oatmeal cookie. Nothing soft (although I do like brownies, but in this case I'm looking for a really good cookie recipe).

Who has something great?
Vanilla Orchid

Re: crisp cookies?

Postby JeffN » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:06 am

It is a food chemistry issue

Back in the 1980's, when we were in the midst of the low-fat/fat-free era, the "soft" cookie proliferated and many wanted to have a "crispy" low-fat/fat-free cookie.

In spite of the apparent demand, the industry could not come up with one, and still haven't. The reason is, it is the fat (mostly the oil) that makes the cookie crispy. It is also why they still haven't come up with one.

This also impacts the other issue you mentioned, flavorful. Fat, is a flavor carrier and helps distribute flavor through the food. This is why oil is used as a base for many flavors, extracts, etc.

This is also why there are so few of them available today. Very few consumers like the soft, chewy cookie.

If you find one, or anyone else know of one (or a recipe) that is truly low-fat, oil free, flavorful and meets out guidelines, please post it.

My mom has looked for one for over 35 years. :)

In Health
Jeff

PS while I am not recommending you to compromise your health in anyway, if a cookie was truly something one had on a rare occasion, then, as I have shown in my thread on the continuum of evil, the odds of it being harmful at 5% of calories to an otherwise adherent diet, is very very low.
JeffN

Re: crisp cookies?

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:24 pm

JeffN wrote:It is a food chemistry issue

If you find one, or anyone else know of one (or a recipe) that is truly low-fat, oil free, flavorful and meets out guidelines, please post it.

My mom has looked for one for over 35 years. :)

In Health
Jeff

OK, I'm on it!
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning