Where can I find pizza spice seasoning?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Where can I find pizza spice seasoning?

Postby Thrasymachus » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 pm

I found this excellent recipe from Micah the Vegan's Youtube channel about 3 years ago:
"Simple Vegan Pizza Recipe | Oil Free"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3cZ5wJ8Y9Q

But I never made it because I could never find a pizza seasoning spice mix. No matter how many stores I check, I never find such a mix.

Does anyone know where I can find pizza seasoning? I live in northern New Jersey.

Here is the recipe:
Ingredients (For 2-3 servings, halve for personal pizza):
1. Crust
- 2 Cups of Whole Wheat or Gluten Free Flour
- 0.6-1.0 Cup of Water

2. Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 mini can of tomato paste (Can = 6 oz / 175 ml)
- Pizza Seasoning and Basil to Taste
- 1/3 cup of water

3. Cashew Cheese Sauce
= 1 to 1.5 cups of cashews
- 0.75-1 cup of water
- 1 yellow bell pepper

4. Toppings
- Whatever veggies you want
- I used 1 zucchini and 2 servings of button mushrooms
- Dash of extra basil
- Fresh baby kale

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees F or 210 degree C.
Thrasymachus

Re: Where can I find pizza spice seasoning?

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Yum, that recipe sounds delicious; thank you for sharing it! :-D

I've always found pizza seasoning in dollar stores, very large grocery stores in the spice section or even where they sell pizza sauce.

Have you tried Amazon?

You could always make your own blend with dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes if you like a little spice, etc..

Also, I'm sure you could find recipes online for pizza seasoning or make one from seeing what ingredients are in a mix sold on Amazon. One good thing is that a mix like that is very forgiving and really depends on your own taste preferences. I think some I've purchased in the past have included marjoram if I'm not mistaken. And of course some contain salt and/or black pepper.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Daydream » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:09 am

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but Local Spicery sells "Pepperoni Spice", which is SOS free and contains: Paprika, Guajillo Chile, Anise Seed, Mustard Seed, de Arbol Chile, Garlic & Fennel.

https://www.localspicery.com/product/pepperoni-blend/
Daydream

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Daydream--thank you for posting this. I had heard of that spice company and that particular seasoning, but now your posting about it has given me the impetus to place an order! :)

Thrasymachus--are you able to get Italian seasoning in your local stores? You could use that in place of the pizza seasoning (and always add seasoning to it, if desired). Also, I remember getting that cheaper line of spices (around $1, maybe $1.20+ nowadays) at Super Wal-Mart some years ago and I really believe that they had at least Italian if not also pizza seasoning.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Since the pizza sauce contains only tomatoes, all of the other flavor is going to come from the spice mix. You can season the sauce any way you prefer.

Some pizza sauces are just fresh crushed tomatoes and oregano, salt and pepper. Others are more blended marinara sauce, with garlic and onion, celery, carrot and zucchini vegetables blended in. Or anything in between. (I often mix some of my marinara with some fresh crushed tomatoes.

So individual spices you might consider are:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- celery powder
- oregano
- basil
- salt
- pepper
michaelswarm

Postby Dot » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 pm

I buy it bulk from Frontier Spice, through vitacost.com. Shipping to Canada is a flat rate through Vitacost rather than directly from Frontier Spice where the shipping was as much as the product price. May be different for continental USA.
D.
Dot

Postby MINNIE » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Penzeys Spice Co. has it.

Just Google it for details.

I usually mix my own but sometimes I buy theirs. Not the cheapest but it's good.
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning