No oil commercial fries?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

No oil commercial fries?

Postby potatohead55 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi everyone!

I love the convenience of frozen french fries, but not at the expense of my health, lol.

Anybody know of a brand of commercially available fries that have no oil or preservatives? I know about Simply Potatoes brand, but it's hard to find in my store, plus I don't know if they have anything but hash browns/ :)
potatohead55

Re: No oil commercial fries?

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Hello potatohead55, and welcome to the Discussion Board!

I have seen brands that contain less oil, but no frozen French fries that contain no oil. :cry:

As you mentioned, there are a couple of brands of frozen hashbrowns that only contain potatoes--which is great--but still not the same as fries.

You may want to look into an air fryer or even cook cut up potatoes in fry shape in your oven.

Hopefully someone will know of a brand! I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I'm not holding my breath because I've looked for years and in several states.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby potatohead55 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:16 am

Mom+Me wrote:Hello potatohead55, and welcome to the Discussion Board!

I have seen brands that contain less oil, but no frozen French fries that contain no oil. :cry:

As you mentioned, there are a couple of brands of frozen hashbrowns that only contain potatoes--which is great--but still not the same as fries.

You may want to look into an air fryer or even cook cut up potatoes in fry shape in your oven.

Hopefully someone will know of a brand! I don't mean to be a naysayer, but I'm not holding my breath because I've looked for years and in several states.

Thanks, Mom+Me - I kind of figured that. :\

I do have an air fryer - my husband bought a small one for me last Christmas to "try out", lol. I have a small kitchen...big mistake...I need a HUGE 5 qt beast at least (there are 3 of us).

So I bought a so-called fry basket at Walmart to use in the oven - was a knock-off of some I've seen advertised online - and sorry to say but my fries still stick. :\ So I use parchment paper that I've knocked some holes into.

Came across a good recipe to get some crispy fries; you boil the potatoes until cooked through, add some cornmeal and the liquid from a can of chickpeas - shake it up to get the potatoes "roughed up" a bit, add them to your baking sheet and cook in the oven.

Here's a link if you're interested: https://avirtualvegan.com/no-oil-crispy ... -potatoes/

I tried it and it turned out well, but the lazy woman in me wanted a shortcut, lol. :unibrow:

Thanks again!
potatohead55

Postby ricmeu61 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:01 am

potatohead55 wrote:Hi everyone!

I love the convenience of frozen french fries, but not at the expense of my health, lol.

Anybody know of a brand of commercially available fries that have no oil or preservatives? I know about Simply Potatoes brand, but it's hard to find in my store, plus I don't know if they have anything but hash browns/ :)

I was looking for that not too long ago and only found some at Wholefoods, but they were too pricey in my view, so I made them myself in an air fryer.

Richard
P.S. I believe they were oil free.
ricmeu61

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning