An interesting read

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

An interesting read

Postby Plumerias » Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 am

I just got this article from my pocket feed. I had no idea! Um, I don't know if it will be behind a paywall for some, if so, I apologize.

https://marker.medium.com/inside-the-fl ... 3034583579
Plumerias

Re: An interesting read

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 am

Thanks for posting
I was able to access the article but there is a paywall once you review your two free articles a month.
I bake 100% wholewheat bread regularly and live in Australia. Since the COVID 19 restrictions began I have not been able to buy plain wholemeal flour at the two major supermarkets as they haven't had it in stock.
In the last year I moved home from Sydney where I used to buy a 10kg (22lbs) bag of wholemeal flour at an Indian grocer which lasted me a while. I do not have access to so many options now.
Apparently the demand for flour over the past two months has risen by 70% and continued to stay at that number.
I usually only shop once a week or fortnight so hopefully when I next shop they will have wholewheat flour available.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu May 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Very interesting! I'm glad you're back on the forum.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby susie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:01 pm

I too am in Australia and along with flour, my local supermarket was almost completely out of rice. The only rice on the shelves was a couple of bags of Jasmine rice. My preferred rice is brown basmati and it still hasn’t returned to stock yet
It seemed that most vegan foods were either not available or in a limited supply
I could only buy 2 cans of tinned food a shop and only 2 soy milk. One shop I wanted powdered milk for my partner and soy for me, but I could only have one of each. A bit rough given that the powdered milk lasts for months and my soy milk for about 2 days

I live 36 kilometres away from the only supermarket, so a daily trek was not going to happen. Thank heavens that the virus was kept in check here in Tasmania
susie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning