Is Fruit Necessary?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is Fruit Necessary?

Postby njr1 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:11 pm

I cannot find anything published by Dr. McDougall or you about whether, if consuming an otherwise nutritionally-sound diet, foregoing the consumption of fruit is acceptable. If this question would be better addressed in another forum, kindly move it or let me know where I ought to post it.

Dr. McDougall recommends limiting fruit intake to three servings daily as it's easy to over-consume and contains fructose, "which, for some, causes triglycerides and cholesterol to rise. People with these conditions should limit fruits even more." For sensitive people, I believe he recommends limiting fruit to two servings daily.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... etables/Is fruit a necessary part of a nutritious diet?

What is your opinion on excluding fruit altogether? Is it a necessary part of a nutritious diet, and if so, what does it offer that can't be had from non-fruit plant foods?

Thank you.

Ryan
njr1

Re: Is Fruit Necessary?

Postby debknott » Tue May 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Dr. McDougall advises that we eat LOTS of starch and A LITTLE veggies and fruit, without adding oil. That's the whole plan really.
Last edited by debknott on Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
debknott

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Apparently not. My brother-in-law's interpretation of McDougall's writings is that you should limit sugars and fruit is sugar. That was his conclusion as of a few years ago when he decided to decline bypass surgery. He never got the surgery, did get some stents and took statins. He occasionally eats a little meat, but no fruit. And he's not dead yet.

I, on the other hand NEED fruit.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby michaelswarm » Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Few things are really necessary. Dr McDougall recently talked about eating just tubers and nothing else, or just whole grains with the addition of small amounts of vegetables. That’s about as necessary as it gets.
michaelswarm

Postby njr1 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 pm

Your take on the lack of a requirement to eat fruit is in keeping with mine.

I can't find an instance of Dr. McDougall stating that fruits are required, but I'm not wholly confident that it's not because I'd simply overlooked it.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm now just a bit more confident that perhaps I've not located such a statement because it just doesn't exist.

:)
njr1

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 am

On the other hand, here is an article from an e-mail I get re Forks Over Knives that says fruit has huge health benefits. https://www.forksoverknives.com/print/print.php?id=43881

I'd like to hear what Jeff Novick has to say about this. I recall that he (and I) both ate a fair amount of fruit (berries and bananas) on our breakfast oatmeal during the 10-day. And we enjoyed it.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby PJK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:15 am

Okay, I am curious: Why on earth would you want to eliminate fruit?

They are delicious, nutritious and relatively low in calories.

They make a perfect dessert. Their sweetness at the end of a meal also helps you feel satiated and full.

They are ready to go. Just wash and eat. No cooking or other preparation required. And if you do want to cook , several types (apples, pears, cherries, etc.) are happy to comply.

They look beautiful too. What's more lovely than a glistening bowl of grapes, a freshly cut slice of watermelon on a hot summer's day, or, now that we're in June, a carton of perfectly ripe strawberries?
PJK

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 am

I completely agree with PJK. I am also curious, why would you want to eliminate fruit?
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 am

What are commonly regarded as vegetables are biologically fruit. Examples include;
tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, chilli peppers, eggplant, summer squash (aka zucchini), winter squash etc.
These are classified as vegetables based on their culinary use.
Bananas which are needless to say a fruit can be used more like a vegetable if green and very under-ripe.
In summary the lines are a little blurred.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Bigbabycakes1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:55 am

How much fruit is too much? I like melons in the summer months!

1/4 of a medium watermelon , half of small cantaloupe, or hand full of berries?
Patti
Bigbabycakes1

Postby PJK » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:33 am

Unless you're on the Max. Weight Loss program (which restricts fruit), relax.

Have a normal serving. For many fruit, that means 1 piece. For ex., 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 plum, or 1 banana. Keep it simple.

For melon, 1 slice or section.

Berries, figure about 1 cup.

All are pretty low in calories, and have little to no fat. A cup of cantaloupe, for ex., is just 60 calories. A cup of strawberries, just 49 calories.

Fruit can also help you stay hydrated. Some fruit are 90% water.

So fruit also makes a good mid-afternoon snack. Enjoy your fruit.
PJK

Postby Hal » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Half a banana, sliced and folded into a bowl of hot oatmeal and cinnamon each morning is necessary, yes. :)
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning