Alternative to Margarine Alternatives?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alternative to Margarine Alternatives?

Postby DenverGuy » Wed May 06, 2020 12:31 pm

I used to use a lot of stuff like Smart Balance, but are using much less. I can't imagine having broccoli crowns or corn without it. I use a very small amount, but I get the impression that even that is not a good idea.

Any suggestions for an alternative would be appreciated. Eating vegetables like that with nothing on them doesn't sound very appealing.
DenverGuy

Re: Alternative to Margarine Alternatives?

Postby Hal » Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm

I think the trick is to use sauces for vegetables. Also a lot of 'butter' is just the salt. Try a sauce and a bit of salt and pepper from a shaker. You don't need fat in sauces, just crushed tomato or other puree'd thickener vegetables and spices. Once you have a few sauces figured out you will wonder what you ever saw in 'butter'. :) Avery little 'nutritional yeast' in the mix is good as a transitional away from cheese sauce attacks.
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning