Cashew "Cream" Alternative

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cashew "Cream" Alternative

Postby slupen » Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi All

I'm back on the train for a whole foods diet. Not meat, dairy, nuts etc while attaining a healthy weight.

So the endless vegan cooking videos its all about cashew cream which currently is not on the menu.

Options, falling a bit flat here. Some dishes could really use a saucy base (like potatoe gratine) but want to stay true to source.

Potatoes go creamy, but not always a good fit for the dish.

Almond milk / soy milk / etc etc - completely not an option for me. I am not a fan of sweets (fruit an exception) and these milks are inedible for my taste buds and ruin anything I put it in. Coconut cream also not an option.

Any easy ideas of jazzing up the sauce game for sandwich spread / sauce base for oven dishes is very much appreciated. On the weekends when I have more time, I typically ensure I spend a few hours doing a more full on dish so would be fun if I find a way of incorporating this.

Stay strong buds and dudettes. Plant strong that is.

PS, I'm on a weight bet with a friend of mine as an extra carrot to (get out of obesity territory) and am currently kicking *ss with this secret weapon. But the bet aside, I have a much much longer weight loosing goal in mind than the 60 days the challenge is set out for. Hence me 99% of the time eating MWL style food with a tiny exception of avocado topping for Mexican feast night after a long hike.
slupen

Re: Cashew "Cream" Alternative

Postby slupen » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 pm

serene wrote:I use either thinned hummus or blended cannellini beans in place of cashew cream sometimes.

Ahh, you little genius. . .

How do you like to prepare your "bean cream" which will totally fit my diet!!!
slupen

Postby michaelswarm » Wed May 06, 2020 1:33 pm

My sauces are either tomato (red), cauliflower (white), carrot-potato (orange) or plain gravy (brown).
Always searching to adjust-improve flavor, simplify preparation, find new sauces...
michaelswarm

Postby susie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:45 am

Silken tofu would also do the trick. I prefer tahini to thicken, but that does not fit in with your no fat requirements. Have you tried making your own milks. You can make oat or ricemilk, skipping any added sugars. You could also add leftover soup. Just look to see what you have to hand and experiment. Good luck
susie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:14 am

This is my favorite potato gratin recipe. Skip the oil, of course. You can probably sub veg broth or water for the unsweetened plant milk.

https://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes/pot ... ard-gratin
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning