Not many cabbage rolls recipes..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Not many cabbage rolls recipes..

Postby Hal » Tue May 05, 2020 6:31 pm

I happened upon a u-tube cabbage rolls recipe - it looked good and now i am looking for a WOE recipe. I haven't found one on searches for some reason. Does anyone have a recipe they like and can recommend? Thanks.
Hal

Re: Not many cabbage rolls recipes..

Postby Vegankit » Tue May 05, 2020 7:50 pm

I don’t have a recipe, but I can tell you what I do.

I make Dreena’s no fu lentil loaf as my filling. Instead of forming a meatloaf, I take a few spoonfuls and place it inside a cabbage leaf and fold the leaf around it and place it in an oven safe container. If you freeze the cabbage then defrost it the leaves will be nice and pliable. Layer some sauce in the bottom them stuff the leaves into the container and cover with sauce and bake 350 degrees F. I can’t remember how long, maybe an hour.

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/d ... -loaf.html

I make a sauce based canned tomato sauce. I like a slightly sweet sour flavor. To canned tomato sauce I add some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, powdered garlic and onion and mix to taste. You probably have a preference so what ever sauce you use, it will taste great. No need for oil.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Hal » Tue May 05, 2020 9:44 pm

That sounds awesome, Vegankit. Thanks.
Hal

Postby michaelswarm » Wed May 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Hal wrote:I happened upon a u-tube cabbage rolls recipe - it looked good and now i am looking for a WOE recipe. I haven't found one on searches for some reason. Does anyone have a recipe they like and can recommend? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

When I was a kid my mom would make “Pigs In A Blanket.” These were cabbage rolls with meat, rice and tomato sauce filling. (Not those hot dog in a pastry things that also go by the name pigs in a blanket.) I would enjoy the filling but hated the cabbage.

You may find many recipes, but important thing is to make a filling that you enjoy eating, with a sauce that you love.
Then wrap in cabbage leaves (parboiled), cover with extra sauce, and bake. (I don’t like tofu or mushrooms or nuts or anything too fancy in my filling, just lentils and brown rice.)

I just made 6 pigs, combining crumbled lentil loaf with loose lentils and brown rice. (I already make both loafs and burgers from lentils and brown rice, with slightly different techniques. I like the taste. The loaf is more dough, the burger is more packed pieces and vegetables.) For my pigs, I wanted a mix of loose legumes and grains, with some soft chunky parts. Just mix everything together with some sauce.

I also made baked penne pasta using the same filling and sauce for the kiddos. No need for them to repeat my childhood experience with cabbage.

Parboil the cabbage leaves until soft, and let cool. Fill leaves and wrap closed. Place in baking dish. Cover with remaining tomato sauce and some freshly cut tomato chunks. Bake 350F 60m.
michaelswarm

Postby Hal » Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks, michaelswarm. I think i'll give that a try. Maybe i should use the tender leaves near the center. Now i just need a good coleslaw recipe so the rest doesn't go to waste.
Hal

Postby Vegankit » Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am

michaelswarm wrote:Parboil the cabbage leaves until soft, and let cool. Fill leaves and wrap closed. Place in baking dish. Cover with remaining tomato sauce and some freshly cut tomato chunks. Bake 350F 60m.

Michaelswarm, try my trick. Put the cabbage in the freezer and let it freeze. Take it out and let it defrost and peel the leaves off to stuff. It saves the mess and time of parboiling the leaves. You can not tell the difference once the stuffed cabbage is cooked and you won’t have any trouble folding the leaves.

Hal, it’s easier to fold the larger leaves if you don’t have a lot of experience filling and rolling. There’s not a lot of difference between the outer leaves and the innermost leaves when cooked. Yes the outer leaves will be slightly thicker, but they will also be extremely tender from the cooking process.

What I love about these stuffed cabbage rolls is not only do they taste great the first night, but they reheat and taste fantastic the next day. Enjoy!

Any stuffing leftovers can be formed into a meatloaf and cooked for a separate meal. I sometimes will use a muffin tin to make mini-meatloafs and I top the meatloaf with the sauce I use for the stuffed cabbage rolls.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby michaelswarm » Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks, I’ll give the freeze trick a try next time. Do you freeze the whole cabbage or just outermost leaves that you plan to use? I’m guessing the later. What do you do with the rest of the cabbage? I plan sauerkraut.
michaelswarm

Postby Vegankit » Thu May 07, 2020 3:41 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Thanks, I’ll give the freeze trick a try next time. Do you freeze the whole cabbage or just outermost leaves that you plan to use? I’m guessing the later. What do you do with the rest of the cabbage? I plan sauerkraut.

I freeze the whole cabbage. When it’s defrosted I cut out the core. I use as many leaves as I can. With the small ones, I place a thin layer of sauce in my Corningware, then layer most of the unused leaves. Then I layer the rolls. Pour most but not all of the sauce and put a layer of unused leaves on top and cover with some sauce. Then I put the lid on and put it in the oven. The cooked leaves absorb flavor from the sauce so we enjoy eating them with the rolls. I’m not a huge cabbage fan, but I really enjoy it cooked this way.

The leaves are very limp from freezing and would be great added to soup, but they wouldn’t be suitable in a fresh salad.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Mom+Me » Sat May 09, 2020 10:03 am

Great ideas, everyone who posted above; thank you! I need to find a little more time to make actual recipes like this again (just have been waay too busy the last year+). Now to make some room to freeze a whole cabbage...that may be the biggest challenge yet--Ha, ha, ha! :wink:

I wonder if taking individual leaves and microwaving them for a few seconds would make them more pliable? I once heard someone doing that with collards instead of steaming or boiling them to make collard wraps. I think I'll try that first.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning