Alternative to Smart Balance

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alternative to Smart Balance

Postby DenverGuy » Sat May 02, 2020 12:15 pm

I still find myself putting a small amount of Smart Balance on steamed broccoli, corn, and cabbage. I know the stuff is poison. The thought of eating them without anything like that isn't very appealing. Is there a good alternative?
DenverGuy

Re: Alternative to Smart Balance

Postby Lyndzie » Sat May 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Sorry, but no. It can take a while to change tastes, but it can be done. Generally I would quit eating the food in question for a while, then reintroduce in it’s plain form, with maybe a sprinkle of salt or other seasoning. It’s another habit to change.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby barryoilbegone » Mon May 04, 2020 10:16 am

There are different sauces and juices that can give green vegetables something - some cider vinegar, lemon or lime juice I like. This, with Sriracha or mustard can be really good - I mix in a bit of pepper as well. I haven't tried these with corn, but no reason these shouldn't work for corn as well.

There's likely a ton of flavored vinegars out there that would do the trick as well - order or prepare some you want to try, and see what they're like. Alongside, free to play around with your herb and spice cabinet to taste - there's probably other taste combos as well.

As Lyndzie says, it's mainly about readjusting the taste buds - after a while without Smart Balance you'll be amazed you ever craved the stuff, on anything. Really.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby michaelswarm » Mon May 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Any sauce that you enjoy will work. Depends on your tastes. Don’t necessarily try to replace butter, but broaden your concept of toppings. I like broccoli with potato carrot cheese sauce toasted over the top. I like grilled and roasted vegetables mixed into baked corn. Steam then grill and bake onions, celery, red bell peppers and poblano chilis, and chop the mix together. They become quite dehydrated and flavorful. Then bake everything together again. If that’s too much, just try some poblano chilis. In Mexico it’s a standard mix called elotes con rajas, corn with poblano strips. For cabbage I prefer to turn in sauerkraut, but I have also made shredded cabbage carrot salad with honey mustard lemon dressing.
michaelswarm

Postby Jan66 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:29 pm

I've seen recipes online for "corn butter". It's plant-based, oil-free and seems like a good alternative. I haven't tried it personally so I can't say how it actually tastes.
Jan66

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning