Do all the parts of broccoli have the same value?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Do all the parts of broccoli have the same value?

Postby European man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 am

Is the stem as nutritionally valuable as the floret? Supermarket frozen broccoli only gives you the floret. I wondered what the reason was for that.

I'm planning to go crazy and eat a ton of broccoli because there's a study out there that showed broccoli gave excellent protection against respiratory infections. I know superfoods are controversial but what harm can it do eating broccoli?
European man

Re: Do all the parts of broccoli have the same value?

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:00 am

I like the stalks and I'm not sure why the frozen broccoli you buy does not contain the stalks. Many don't like the stalk so this may be a reason for not including it.
The following article is an excellent article on broccoli but do focus on the summary titled 'reality check'.
https://www.thinkingnutrition.com.au/broccoli-bad-for-you/

I now have my own sizeable veggie garden so I'm growing many cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, bok choy, tatsoi and radishes.
Assuming I have a reasonable harvest I will be eating plenty of cruciferous vegetables without hesitation. I will eat the stalks and younger leaves of broccoli.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby European man » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:35 am

Pumpkin Pete wrote:I like the stalks and I'm not sure why the frozen broccoli you buy does not contain the stalks. Many don't like the stalk so this may be a reason for not including it.

I'm in the UK. Supermarket frozen broccoli always seems to only have the florets.
European man

Postby PJK » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 am

Broccoli stems and stalks are definitely edible, but can be woody. If that's the case, peel them. Then you can slice them, either crosswise like coins or lengthwise like matchsticks.

For those growing their own, this page says you can also eat broccoli leaves..and that they actually offer more vit. A and carotenoids than the florets...I've never tried!
https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/broccoli.html
PJK

Postby MINNIE » Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm a broccoli lover and I eat the whole thing.
I sometimes have to peel and slice the thicker stems before cooking them
I eat my broccoli steameed and I think all parts of the plant are delicious.
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning