Homemade sauerkraut anyone?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Homemade sauerkraut anyone?

Postby goal140 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:12 am

I’m interested in a recipe for making sauerkraut. Does anyone make their own? How does the salt fit in?
goal140

Re: Homemade sauerkraut anyone?

Postby michaelswarm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Yes. I use both as condiment (salads, Buddha Bowls) and ingredient (Baked Dumplings Mashed Potatoes and Sauerkraut).

I don’t ferment mine, but instead make “instant sauerkraut” by cooking in vinegar-water-salt brine with small amounts of salt. This is the same way I make pickled cucumbers and pickled jalapeños. Just eating lots of cabbage is good prebiotic, and I don’t buy into the fermented foods = superfood hype. Most of my sauerkraut ends up in cooked dishes anyway.

MAIN
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 onion, shredded
SPICE
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (Or caraway seeds)
BRINE
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water

Shred cabbage and onion and crush same as fermented. Add spices. In small pot boil water and vinegar mixture. Add cabbage and onion mixture and simmer 5m. Remove from heat and cool, then pack in jar. Before serving, if desired, rinse to adjust sour and salt.
michaelswarm

Postby goal140 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Thank you so much Michaelswarm. I am. Looking forward Tom asking it!
goal140

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm currently trying to ferment some red cabbage, but I'm not sure it's going well....
OneLeggedPig

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:32 am

I make kimchi. I plan to make a big batch soon as I have a number of Chinese cabbages in my veggie garden that will be ready for harvest in the next week or so.
If you click onto the link below and scroll down the page under the food tip K for Kimchi there is a recipe for kimchi.
Since writing the food tip I have made kimchi a number of times, each time a little different. You can reduce the salt called for in the recipe.
https://sites.google.com/site/qhuccommunitygarden/peter-s-food-tips-from-our-garden
Pumpkin Pete

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning