Dandelions anyone?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dandelions anyone?

Postby goal140 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:48 am

I’m just curious to find out if there are any on this website, other than myself, who eat “weeds” from their backyards? Right now I am eating a late lunch which consists of steel cut oats, blueberries and dandelion greens. Let me know if there are some who forage in their yards or communities!
goal140

Re: Dandelions anyone?

Postby SunshineDay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:48 pm

Yes, I too forage dandelion greens in the early spring. I especially like them cooked into Lentil Soup.
SunshineDay

Postby SunshineDay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Also, before long now it will be Lambs Quarters, Purslane and Service Berries....
SunshineDay

Postby goal140 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Sunshineday,
It will be a while before I see purslane, but I will take chickweed, dehydrate it and put it in my soups and stews during the winter. I am relatively new to foraging, but it is fun, educational and healthy. People just don’t realize what nutritious foods are under their feet!
goal140

Postby SunshineDay » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Interesting -- though I confess I did have to look up Chickweed. Still not certain I could definitively identify it -- but just looking at its pics with its little white flowers reminds me also that soon the lovely (not!) Garlic Mustard will be making its annual appearance. Not the most tasty of weeds, but perfectly edible (and I figure eating it the ultimate revenge for an invasive as narsty and prolific as it is :-) ….).
SunshineDay

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 am

Hi,

I have a veggie garden and chickweed, purslane and dandelion are common weeds.
I try to keep on top of weeds by removing them when they are young.
Luckily I have plenty of leafy green options - currently chard and sweet potato leaves but soon Chinese cabbage, bok choy and lettuce as well. As such I don't have to resort to eating weeds. New Zealand spinach grows rampantly near me.
I often mix in leafy greens with my oats. Once I cook the leafy greens it doesn't really matter what type of green I use so this would including weeds.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby moonlight » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:42 am

This is fun hearing how people forage for food in their yards! I have been enjoying morel mushrooms from my woods, young dandelion greens, wild garlic (which many people think is wild onion), and wood sorrel. The greens are chocked full of Vitamin C and minerals. I'm sure the wild garlic is full of nutrients, I just haven't bothered to look it up for nutrition information. I've enjoyed these foods to supplement my diet while I wait for my garden greens to take off and supply me with enough for summer.

I would like to learn more about foraging for mushrooms. Morels are real easy to identify. They are great for the beginner but I know there're other edible mushrooms out there! :)
moonlight

Postby Dougalling » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi

When I was a kid, I used to eat all the wild flowers in the neighbourghood.
My mom tried to get me to quit as she thought the neighbours would think she was not feeding me.
But the flowers were good. Especially the yellow and the purple ones.
Then, one day, she looked at my sister and asked her to say something to me to make me stop.
My sister looked at me and said: " The dogs pee on them "
I quit
Dougalling

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning