Cookbooks

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cookbooks

Postby Plumerias » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:01 am

I now have room to get more cookbooks, but obviously cannot go to the library or the bookstore to browse. I know there have been numerous threads about favorite cookbooks, but I've not the patience to sort through a zillion pages to find them. What are your favorites and why? Thanks.
Plumerias

Re: Cookbooks

Postby PJK » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Do you have "The Starch Solution" by Dr. McD?

Not a cookbook, but it does include many recipes. And guess what, they're all compliant!
PJK

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm

With growth of Internet I now find almost anything I am looking for online, with a bit of hunting. That's for new meals and techniques. After having to adjust almost everything for whole food, low fat, no oil, I have accumulated quite a few. Also find adjusting traditional recipes often has as good or better results than vegan-vegetarian recipes.
michaelswarm

Postby dempseygirl » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:24 am

I suggest all of Lindsay Nixon's Happy Herbivore cookbooks as well as Kim Campbell's PlantPure cookbooks. Joanne Stepaniak's Vegan Vittles is great (just omit oil) and so are Jennifer Raymond's The Peaceful Palate and Fat-Free and Easy. Lastly, all of Neal Barnard's books, especially the older ones (Food for Life, Foods that Fight Pain, Turn off the Fat Genes, Breaking the Food Seduction, Foods that Fight Pain) include lots of great recipes.

As you can tell, I love cookbooks. :-D
dempseygirl

Postby moonlight » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 am

I have always enjoyed Cathy Fisher's recipes on her website. I would love to have her cookbook, Straight Up Food. Cathy has worked with the McDougall program since 2006.

The internet gives us plenty of good recipes but there's something comforting about browsing a good cookbook while having a cup of tea. :)
moonlight

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm

Plumerias, you're already a good cook and you know how to eliminate oils from most recipes. If you don't already have one, get what I call one big fat cookbook that you can use for a reference. My favorite would be Joy of Cooking. Some people like Fanny Farmer, or Good Housekeeping. Then, get some of the more advanced cookbooks that are geared to this way of eating. You would be bored with the more basic stuff with multiple recipes for soups, bowls of stuff you can already easily prepare, and variations on chili and lasagna. Maybe some ethnic stuff. Have fun!

Go with something like Flavor (using Forks Over Knives type recipes, but not just the basic stuff) or any of the cookbooks from great vegan restaurants. Things with new and interesting techniques and interesting dishes.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Dougalling » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi

I always come back to Dr & Mrs McDougall recipes and Jeff Novick recipes. See Jeff's FB recipe page; it's great.
Dougalling

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning