What do you think of combo air fryers + ovens(2 in 1)?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What do you think of combo air fryers + ovens(2 in 1)?

Postby Thrasymachus » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:16 pm

I have been mulling getting or trying an air fryer for a long time. Recently I went to a vegan restaurant in NYC called By Chloe's and on the menu that they had air fried French fries and I tried them and they were so perfect, delicious and free of oil! That really hammered that I need an air fryer and that I should have probably gotten one years ago.

But the thing is I already have so many kitchen appliances and so much specialized cooking equipment. Having an air fryer in a cabinet will just be cumbersome and annoying in the general. I have noticed that many companies sell moderate sized toaster ovens that can be used for baking, toasting and also allow you to air fry. I was thinking of getting one of those.

What are you experiences with toaster oven + air fryer combo appliances? Do they suck at both functions, are they just as good as a dedicated air fryer?
Thrasymachus

Re: What do you think of combo air fryers + ovens(2 in 1)?

Postby Thrasymachus » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Wow, thanks for that. We already have a relatively modern full sized oven that is convection. I read this review and it said there is absolutely not much difference:

Wired: Are Air Fryers Worth it?
https://www.wired.com/story/air-fryers/

And there is also this brief bit:
https://www.gowiseproducts.com/blogs/go ... s-airfryer

Still while your info lead me to realize a new air fryer+toaster oven probably isn't worth it, if I come across a used one on craigslist or a thrift store nearby I will definitely get one and eventually donate, sell or give away my toaster oven that can't do convection or air frying.
Thrasymachus

Re: What do you think of combo air fryers + ovens(2 in 1)?

Postby Thrasymachus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Update:
The old toaster oven broke, only one of the heating elements was working so I needed a new one.

I got a Cuisinart Digital AirFryer Toaster Oven, model CTOA-130PC1 from Costco on sale:
https://www.costco.com/cuisinart-digita ... 00123.html

I don't like that it has a digital interface instead of more physical buttons or dials. I also don't like that it has a fan on no matter what and the even when it is done the fan stays on for a few minutes. But the fan is not that loud. This unit can even dehydrate too! I already dehydrated a few batches of kale.
Thrasymachus

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning