Favorite fat-free baked goods

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite fat-free baked goods

Postby Chumly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:15 pm

I am having a hard time giving up the occasional muffin, cookie or piece of cake. What are your favorite recipes for baked goods that have no added fat? I'm thinking of making something and freezing single portions for snacks.

Michael
Chumly

Re: Favorite fat-free baked goods

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Chumly wrote:I am having a hard time giving up the occasional muffin, cookie or piece of cake. What are your favorite recipes for baked goods that have no added fat? I'm thinking of making something and freezing single portions for snacks.

Well, there’s what I know how to bake, that goes over well with the kids, and I make often.
- Black Bean Brownies
- Pumpkin Pie

Both use solid quantity of starch (beans or squash and oats) with apples and dates for sweetener.
michaelswarm

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Did you get this email from this morning? McDougall baking recipes!

https://us4.campaign-archive.com/?e=54a ... bedcf0e955
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 am

Remember one of the first Star McDougallers Jan Tz? Starting back on the old McDougall forums on VegSource she developed a whole slew of quickbread recipes that are McDougall-safe. Here's where I posted the Quickbread File from over there to these forums when we switched from the older forums here to this version.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3864#p3864

So many different versions of quickbread - like Cranberry Orange, Iced Cinnamon Raisin, Raspberry Cocoa, and holiday favorites such as Eggnog and the perennial favorite Gingerbread.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:19 am

And don't forget there's an extensive recipe collection right here on the McDougall web site under the Education drop-down menu:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/

You can scroll down a bit and hit the Desserts tab and see what comes up, or search the recipes section for "Cake" - just ignore the first one that pops up for Crab Cakes. :)
VeggieSue

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:17 am

I too make black bean brownies regularly using Chef AJ's recipe which I have tweaked a little.
I have had them in the fridge with no deterioration in taste for two weeks.
Here is my recipe;
700 grams cooked black beans
100 quick oats
100 grams of dates plus another 200ml of water in which they are soaked overnight
30 grams of cocoa powder
Dash of vanilla
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

After mixing all the ingredients together transfer to silicon bakeware - I think this stuff is brilliant.
There is no need for oil and after the brownie slab cools it lifts out easily.
I bake it for 40 minutes at 180 degrees c (that's about 360 fahr). I place a sheet of baking paper on the top of the brownies when baking so the top surface of the brownie slab doesn't dry out too much.
I often think the brownies are undercooked when removed from the oven but after placing them in the fridge for a few hours they are moist and firm.
They are particular nice topped with peanut butter but this obviously is not appropriate for those on the more restricted McDougall diet.
Pumpkin Pete

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning