Pie crust for pecan or pumpkin pie

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pie crust for pecan or pumpkin pie

Postby dstewart » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I’m making a pecan pie for Thanksgiving dinner. The challenge: pie crust.

Do you have a good, favorite pie crust? If you’ve cracked that code, please post a recipe!

A flaky crust is impossible without butter, I guess. But maybe you’ve come up with something as good or close?
dstewart

Re: Pie crust for pecan or pumpkin pie

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:24 pm

dstewart wrote:I’m making a pecan pie for Thanksgiving dinner. The challenge: pie crust.

Do you have a good, favorite pie crust? If you’ve cracked that code, please post a recipe!

A flaky crust is impossible without butter, I guess. But maybe you’ve come up with something as good or close?

As far as I've ever experienced, too, a flaky crust is only gotten by butter, margarine, lard, and/or shortening--all waaay off plan.

I don't have this book https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Cook ... dy&sr=8-3# right now because I've lent it out, but I remember that there were a couple or few pie crust options, all compliant except for one which uses low-fat graham crackers which are very low in fat but still have oil.

I know of crusts made with nuts, but those are very decadent and not good for people with cardiovascular disease. Mary has one made with Grape Nuts cereal, but keep in mind that that cereal is high in sodium. ....I look forward to hearing others' positive experiences with 100% compliant and low in sodium, etc. Ingredients. In the meantime, when I get a chance, I'll look through some of the books I have.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:53 am

I recently used this oat and walnut crust to make an apple tart, and unfortunately can’t comment on it because I didn’t even get to try a slice, the whole thing was hobbled up in a flash! https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.i21ujv

I’ve tried the Grape Nuts crust before, it was ok.

Happy Herbivore has a crust with whole wheat flour and applesauce. It was bad.

Forks Over Knives has some crusts in their Flavors cookbook.

I’m still on the hunt as well! A flaky crust is just not going to happen, but maybe something else would be good.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm

For the past couple of years, if I wanted a pie, I just made it without crust. The only pies I baked were pumpkin.

Recently I’ve attempted crust. I did a wide search both on the Internet and Mary McDougall’s recipes. I’ve used nut-date crust, tasty but not low fat (although Mary’s crust does use 1/3 cup almonds), and a whole wheat-oat-prune crust which I found acceptable. I don’t remember where I found it. I think the prunes were a substitution of mine.

Planning to make this one again for Thanksgiving.

Low Fat Dough (wheat-oat)
Makes 2 cups dough.
From ? (Appears to be my adaptation from 1st recipe at https://www.solofoods.com/news/6-best-h ... pie-crusts.)
3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 cup dried plums (fat replacement, also seen applesauce)
2-3 Tbsp cold water

Options (I did not use any of these...)
- 1/4 cup sweetener (brown sugar, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder + acid
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt

Blend pitted prunes blend together with water. Mix dry ingredients and prune paste into dough.
Press into pie pan. Bake 375F 8-10m until crisp. Allow to cool before filling. (I did not pre-bake, but just baked along with the pumpkin filling and it turned out ok.)

Happy Herbivore also had an interesting whole wheat-banana dough I want to try.
michaelswarm

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Just was looking through Forks Over Knives Family https://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Knive ... 254&sr=8-1 for a different recipe when I checked for any pie recipes. On pages 254 + 255 there is a recipe for Chocolate Pie and there's a picture of it on the last page of the pictures of recipes--looks delish! And it uses acorn squash (or canned pumpkin) for the filling. I think I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving! Anyway, the crust calls for old-fashioned rolled oats, cashews, sorghum flour (I have to check into this!), sea salt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:34 am

Looks like we can substitute wheat flour for the sorghum. I'll let you know if I use whole wheat or ww pastry. By the way, sorghum is good for those who are gluten-free. (Not like I'm an expert on grains. I had a hunch that sorghum is g-f, but the reasearch I did confimed it.)
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:53 am

dstewart wrote:I’m making a pecan pie for Thanksgiving dinner. The challenge: pie crust.

Just wondering what you're using for the filling? Is it by any chance a raw pecan pie recipe? I know of recipes for that and made one many moons ago. I like to think I've seen a baked vegan pecan pie recipe that is oil/margarine and egg-free, but it escapes me as to where I saw it.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:01 am

Lyndzie wrote:I recently used this oat and walnut crust to make an apple tart, and unfortunately can’t comment on it because I didn’t even get to try a slice, the whole thing was hobbled up in a flash! https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.i21ujv

Looks good, Lyndzie! I'm sorry to hear it was all gobbled up before you got to taste it. :? At least it sounds like the recipe for the crust is a winner! :thumbsup:
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 am

michaelswarm wrote:For the past couple of years, if I wanted a pie, I just made it without crust. The only pies I baked were pumpkin.

Recently I’ve attempted crust. I did a wide search both on the Internet and Mary McDougall’s recipes. I’ve used nut-date crust, tasty but not low fat (although Mary’s crust does use 1/3 cup almonds), and a whole wheat-oat-prune crust which I found acceptable. I don’t remember where I found it. I think the prunes were a substitution of mine.

Planning to make this one again for Thanksgiving.

Low Fat Dough (wheat-oat)
Makes 2 cups dough.
From ? (Appears to be my adaptation from 1st recipe at https://www.solofoods.com/news/6-best-h ... pie-crusts.)
3/4 cup oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4-1/2 cup dried plums (fat replacement, also seen applesauce)
2-3 Tbsp cold water

Options (I did not use any of these...)
- 1/4 cup sweetener (brown sugar, etc.)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder + acid
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt

Blend pitted prunes blend together with water. Mix dry ingredients and prune paste into dough.
Press into pie pan. Bake 375F 8-10m until crisp. Allow to cool before filling. (I did not pre-bake, but just baked along with the pumpkin filling and it turned out ok.)

Happy Herbivore also had an interesting whole wheat-banana dough I want to try.

Thank you for the crust recipe; looks simple and tasty! I usually use applesauce or mashed bananas as my family didn't like the pruny taste when I used it years ago. But applesauce is usually more mild than the banana and I think would work much better in a crust recipe.
Mom+Me

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm

I just came across this recipe:
https://shaneandsimple.com/vegan-pumpkin-pie/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Lyndzie wrote:I just came across this recipe:
https://shaneandsimple.com/vegan-pumpkin-pie/

Thank you, Lyndzie! I like that he reminds people that it's rich and should only be eaten for special occasions--very responsible of him. I also like the link he has https://happyherbivore.com/2010/09/pie-crust/ for a fat-free crust (probably the one michaelswarm referred to). I know you mentioned above that the Happy Herbivore recipe you tried in the past with applesauce was bad. Maybe this one would be good? :?:
Mom+Me

Postby jamietwo » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:06 pm

** This is not a low-fat crust ** as it uses almond flour, but there are no added oils! Its not whole grain either, as it uses tapioca starch and white rice flour, but it is gluten free. So I guess I'm saying its not on plan. :p

I made if for the first time this Christmas, and it turned out really good (for an oil-free gluten-free crust!)! I make two pies a year, so that's my excuse! ;)

https://myquietkitchen.com/healthy-vega ... -oil-free/ (I weighed the ingredients as recommended and rolled it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper)

Edited to add: I just looked at the shaneandsimple pie crust, and it is VERY similar, the differences being rice flour vs wheat flour and sugar vs maple syrup.
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning