Gluten Free, McDougall Friendly Lemon Cake?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gluten Free, McDougall Friendly Lemon Cake?

Postby Emily » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:19 am

I miss a good lemon cake. Anyone have a good gluten free, vegan, oil free recipe? I did some searching online but the closest thing was really rich...no oil, but canned coconut milk, which might as well be the same thing. I don't think dates would sweeten a lemon flavor well, so I imagine I'd have to use a somewhat more refined sweetener that I'm used to...

Any ideas?

Also, I usually post in the Lounge, because I almost never have a question specific to one of the different topics. Is there a lot of activity here?
Emily

Re: Gluten Free, McDougall Friendly Lemon Cake?

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:15 am

Are you thinking of cake or lemon bars?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Emily, welcome to this segment of the Discussion Board! :) I, too, frequent the Lounge the most. From what I've seen, this as well as all the other segments, receive far less traffic than the Lounge; but I don't know what the stats are. I tend to frequent this one more so before Thanksgiving and other Holidays.

Yes, lemon cake...mmm...so good tasting! But as far as a low-fat vegan recipe? I don't know. :cry: To make it gluten free, I would think you could blend/process oatmeal into oat flour, or buy it.

I do remember seeing I believe a lemon pie in The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook https://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse- ... ent&sr=8-3 or was it in the book (not cookbook) https://www.amazon.com/Prevent-Reverse- ... 1DVEY35TF2 ? I own both of these books but have them lent out right now, so I can't look it up; I'm sorry. And I know that a lemon pie is not a lemon cake, but when you want that lemon taste--sweet but tart--maybe it would do.

I just reached for the closest WFPB cookbook by me Fork Over Knives Family https://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Knive ... 254&sr=8-1 and see on pages 252 + 253 a Layer Cake with Vanilla Frosting. I'd think you could use lemon extract and that would be pretty close. It uses maple syrup for the sweetener. For flour it calls for whole wheat pastry and almond.

Hope some of this information helps. Please let us know what you make and hpw it turns out. And hopefully some others will have an actual compliant lemon cake recipe.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:55 pm

serene wrote:I never know which forums I'm spending the most time on, because I come in through the "unread posts" link, so whatever posts happen, I read them and barely notice what "neighborhood" they're from.

I never knew that there was/is an "unread posts" link. :?: Well, if most people do what you do, serene, then my comment in my earlier post would definitely be invalid. :nod: As I mentioned, I clearly don't know the stats.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning