Looking for a Quinoa and lentil burger

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking for a Quinoa and lentil burger

Postby ricmeu61 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:23 am

Hello,

Firstly, some say lentils need to be soaked first, otherS say, not needed. What is the view here?

Secondly I am in search of a recipe for a burger like something, made predominantly from quinoa and lentils?

If someone could share a recipe, that would be great.

MANY THANKS, RICHARD
ricmeu61

Re: Looking for a Quinoa and lentil burger

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:29 pm

I prefer to soak all whole beans, lentils and grains before cooking if I can, for more consistent results. But lentils are nice that most can be cooked without soaking, just a bit more water, and a bit longer cook time.

I have used the following burger recipe changing the starches between multiple legumes, grains and potatoes.
The oats and flax egg bind everything together. The vegetables and vegetable paste-sauce adds flavor.

MAIN
- 1 cup brown lentils, cooked (Any legume.)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked (Any grain or even potato. Or omit and double the legume. Suspect quinoa can be used here too.)
- 1 cup oats, pulsed in blender 5x
- 1-1/2 cups fresh tomatoes (Any steamed vegetables, drained, chopped small.)
FLAX EGG
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup water
SPICES
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (Or marinara sauce, or even veggie broth.)

Mix dry ingredients together: lentils, rice, oats and dry spices. Mix wet ingredients together: tomatoes or other steamed vegetables, flax egg and tomato paste. Mix dry and wet ingredients together. Allow brief 5m rest for oats and flax powder to absorb moisture. Shape into patties or balls. Bake convection toaster oven 400F 20m.
michaelswarm

Postby ricmeu61 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you Serene and Michaels,

the reason I asked about the soaking was that I had found an article on the web that said you had to rinse them because lentils contain something that prevents later the absorption of minerals in the gut. However, since I could not find that article again and neither of you confirmed that I go with another article that stated that lentils do not contain any lignans.

Thanks again for the recipies, Richard
ricmeu61

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Lignans are not a concern in this diet. Concerns about “anti-nutrients” stem from an incomplete understanding of science and/or debunked scientific theory. Feel free to eat pulses and legumes and grains without worry.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:14 pm

michaelswarm wrote:I have used the following burger recipe changing the starches between multiple legumes, grains and potatoes.
The oats and flax egg bind everything together. The vegetables and vegetable paste-sauce adds flavor.

Just finished making with lentils and red quinoa. For vegetables I used some from my soup vegetables: onion, celery, carrot, zuchinni and cauliflower. This version is as good as the brown rice version, and a bit darker in color, because of the red quinoa.
michaelswarm

Postby ricmeu61 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Lignans are not a concern in this diet. Concerns about “anti-nutrients” stem from an incomplete understanding of science and/or debunked scientific theory. Feel free to eat pulses and legumes and grains without worry.

Thank you, Richard
ricmeu61

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning