Hummus - To Use or not Use Tahini

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hummus - To Use or not Use Tahini

Postby Bkworm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Okay, still looking for the perfect hummus recipe that does not use tahini and/or nuts. Have spent lots of time online looking at various recipes for hummus and then making many batches of which at least part ends up getting thrown out. A batch is currently sitting in the refrigerator and after an initial taste no one wants to eat it.

Still don't have a recipe we really like that does not contain tahini. Reading all the recipes for supposedly oil free hummus, they usually call for tahini but they still state those recipes do not contain oil. Some recipes call for cashews and/or tahini. Still indicating the recipe is oil free. However, tahini has a lot of oil in it naturally as to nuts. Read explanations about using tahini versus oil, and the explanation is about the fact that oils are pressed instead of using the entire sesame seed as for tahini. Would adding just sesame seeds and not tahini be any healthier?

Our favorite recipe is from FOKs: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.h0au0s. It is delicious but calls for 2 T tahini. I usually only use 1 T when I make it. Have made it without any tahini but have to agree with DH and DS that it just doesn't taste good without any tahini. I am still working to lose weight so stay away from it entirely for the most part. By the way, the recipe is just as good made with dried thyme and basil. Also have used various types of white beans and they are even more delicious.

Just came across a recipe on iheartvegetables.com which calls for something called za'atar. Here is a link to the recipe for it: https://www.thespruceeats.com/zaatar-mi ... re-2355844 Has anyone tried it? How did you like it? Can you purchase it already made up like other seasonings?

When you read most recipes, the same ingredients are listed over and ove, just the amount of each varies. Garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, tahini and/or cashews. Some recipes now call for aquafava to make the hummus creamier. Some add paprika and/or chili powder. One I read today calls for cilantro. Have tried the few commercial brands and we don't like any of those, usually way too much lemon juice.

Thanks for any input.
Bkworm

Re: Hummus - To Use or not Use Tahini

Postby Plumerias » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:32 pm

We make hummus with regular tahini. I realize that's frowned upon here, but we like it that way. It's not something we eat regularly, but infrequently. It's Arabic name is hummus b'tahina, which is telling, wouldn't you say? That is to say, it's not real hummus without the tahini. I can't imagine it would be a problem for your growing children, although there may be some here who would disagree with me. Ours is just chickpeas (cooked in the Instant Pot and still warm when they land in the food processor), a bit of the liquid if need to loosen it, tahini, lemon juice, and a little salt.

You can find za'atar at Middle Eastern grocery stores, in the bulk herbs and spices jars. I just looked, Penzeys Spices carries it, but I know the location here in the Orlando area closed. I've seen it used on pita breads, but with some olive oil. It then gets warmed. Sumac is a rather tart ingredient, just so you know. Sometimes it's sprinkled on fattoush, it's the dark powder.

For yourself, why not experiment with some other bean spreads? Ones that you might make without any added fats. This summer we played with some borlotti/cranberry/Romano beans. We had no food processor in the rental we were in, so the beans got mashed the old fashioned way, lol, that is to say with a well washed bottle. I grated an heirloom tomato for the "wet" part, added some good quality balsamic vinegar and some fresh rosemary and thyme. We used it as pizza topping. We don't have a real oven in the RV, so this was such a treat, to make pizza!
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 am

I did not think tahini was frowned upon. It’s discouraged if trying to lose weight, but really it’s no different that any of the nut butters. A tablespoon in a recipe for hummus is what I usually do.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 am

I usually use tahini, or not...no biggie. But I also will use raw sesame seeds instead (I did it once when I was out of tahini) and that makes a delicious hummus. I maybe tossed in 1/4 cup with my beans and such.
AnnetteW

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:45 am

Lyndzie wrote:I did not think tahini was frowned upon. It’s discouraged if trying to lose weight, but really it’s no different that any of the nut butters. A tablespoon in a recipe for hummus is what I usually do.

Tahini is a high fat food (over 70% fat).

For those trying to lose weight, we recommend avoiding it. For those on the regular program, we recommend limiting it as we do with all high fat foods

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 am

Bkworm wrote:Okay, still looking for the perfect hummus recipe that does not use tahini and/or nuts.

Our favorite recipe is from FOKs: https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.h0au0s. It is delicious but calls for 2 T tahini. I usually only use 1 T when I make it. Have made it without any tahini but have to agree with DH and DS that it just doesn't taste good without any tahini..

Try substituting 1-3 tbsp (you have to experiment) of pureed sweet potato, or pumpkin, or tomato paste instead of the tahini. This is now our standard hummus at the 10-Day program (we use pureed sweet potato).

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8765&p=64499&#p64499

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bkworm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Thank you to everyone for your input.

Jeff, any hope of getting the complete recipe for the hummus from the 10-Day program?

Just purchased some new sweet potatoes and plan to try a recipe of hummus with the sweet potatoes as soon as I roast the potatoes but would be nice to have the complete recipe from the 10-day program..
Bkworm

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:15 am

Bkworm, here is the link to download all the recipes for all the meals that they serve at the 10 day program: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... meal-plan/ but it doesn't seem that it has been updated to reflect what Jeff mentioned. Nonetheless, it's pretty neat (and very, very kind and help of Dr. and Mary McDougall) to have all the recipes! There are also some for other bean spreads than hummus.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Bkworm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am

Posted by mistake on a different hummus link. Will try again here.

I apologize, Jeff, missed your link to the hummus recipe but caught it when I reread your post. Thanks to you and Mom+Me, I now have lots of new recipes to try.
Bkworm

Postby Bkworm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am

What a wonderful link, Mom+Me. So many new recipes to try. Had no idea all the recipes from the 10-day program were on the site. And yes, it is so kind and helpful for Dr. McDougall and Mary to make the recipes available to all of us. They always make it so easy for us to stay compliant to this way of eating.
Bkworm

Postby calvin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Bkworm wrote:...Thanks for any input.

McDougall Recipes:

Fat-Free Hummus
Basic Hummus
Dips & Spreads
calvin

Postby carolw » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:53 am

This may be way too old to have any effect on anyone but i'll add my 2 cents to the no oil, no tehini hummus controversy.
I have been trying to make good tehini free humus for a long time. I use freshly cooked chickpeas which have been soaked.
The people in the know remove the skins before grinding. I usually dont have the patience.
I always save the cooking water from the chickpeas (as a marvelous base for veggie stock) and use it to loosen the chickpea paste.
Additions which I think help are sweet potato but even better to my taste is a skinned grilled red pepper.Whirl the chickpeas, liquid, garlic, lemon, paprika or hot pepper , cumin, and the addition of red pepper. Its best used fresh. In a few days it tastes nyeh. Zatar can be sprinkled on when used. with pita.
What is interesting to me is that chickpeas in different places make for a different tasting humus. eg, the humus beans in Israel tasted different thn the humus beans in Australia. Strangely enough, I like the Australian better.
carolw

Postby calvin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:03 pm

carolw wrote:...a skinned grilled red pepper....

I want to try this. Is that a Bell pepper?
calvin

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning