All the hash browns

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

All the hash browns

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:08 am

What is the best way to cook an entire 2 lbs bag of frozen hash browns? My minions are demanding I share with them.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: All the hash browns

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:00 am

Either multiple batches in a George Foreman grill or spread out on parchment paper lined baking sheets in the oven, time and temp on the bag. If adding spices, like onion or garlic powder or just something like one of the no-salt blends (Mrs. Dash, Benson's Table Tasty, etc.) do it before cooking.

Prior to serving, make sure those kids have aprons or bibs on - ketchup is sure to go everywhere as they eat, if your kids are as sloppy as I can get while eating hash browns. LOL
VeggieSue

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:07 am

Thanks, Sue! My bag of hash browns did not include oven directions, so I spread the whole bag out in a rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment and cooked the at 375°F. They turned out more unpleasantly crunchy than delightfully crispy. I will check out Goodwill for a George Foreman. I used to have one in college and loved it. Thanks for getting back to me!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 am

Lyndzie wrote:My bag of hash browns did not include oven directions, so I spread the whole bag out in a rimmed cookie sheet lined with parchment and cooked the at 375°F.

Funny there was no oven directions. It's been so long since I bought any so can't check.

They turned out more unpleasantly crunchy than delightfully crispy.

This is one of the reasons why I stopped buying & cooking them. Those pointy little shards of potatoes would just cut right into my mouth! I know lots of people love those crispy, crunchy potatoes, but I'm not one of them! When I make them I purposely under-cook them so there's just a little bit of browning on the edges and the rest is still soft. But I like soggy french fries, too, so I'm weird. That's also the main reason I never bought an air fryer when it seems like 99% of every FB community I belong to did. Hard, dried out potatoes, even if highly spiced, is not my idea of a good meal.

Ann & Jane Esselstyn are making frozen hash brown potatoes in a panini maker and grill in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMYLYTBpl0k

To me, these are shingles, not food, but it seems the majority of people love them this way, including my own family.

Also, an easy way to make them in a grill, especially one without removable plates for cleaning - just use parchment paper on the bottom and top of the potatoes. They still cook up as crispy as you want them and no mess to clean. The paper is safe in ovens up to 450º. It may brown a bit around the edges but doesn't burn. Jeannine Elder of the Potato Reset has videos of her making hash browns from fresh potatoes in her George Foreman grill and she uses the parchment paper now and then. I thought it a fantastic idea and tried it in my own grill and also a waffle maker (yes, it can act as a grill for potatoes, too) and works great when I make smashed potatoes.
VeggieSue

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Thank you! I picked up a George Foreman yesterday but I think you are right about the crispy vs crunchy aspect. A hard, sharp potato-flavored disk is not what I’m after. Our stove top has a griddle plate, that is going to be my next attempt to cook these this things up. I appreciate the links as well!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning