Possible Burger

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Possible Burger

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Here is my alternative to the Impossible Burger.

You can easily substitute any other kind of legumes like red kidney beans. I happen to enjoy lentils.
You can omit brown rice and just use more legumes. Or try another whole grain.
You can change the vegetables to any lightly steamed vegetable or vegetable mix. I often have an onion, celery and carrot mix available from my soup and vegetable stock prep. I’ve used this vegetable mix with zuchinni, cauliflower and brocooli as well. Canned chopped tomatoes or steamed chopped tomatoes also work.
Spices can be almost anything. Oregano, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, BBQ sauce...

What I like about this burger is the high amount of vegetables. This give the burger a good base of flavor.

Lentil Burger

My favorite veggie burger. We make this weekly.
The main ingredients are lentils, brown rice, oats and vegetables.

Suggestions
Serve with whole wheat bun, ketchup, mustard, sweet pickle relish, tomato, onion and lettuce.
Serve with dumplings or whole wheat bread, mashed potatoes, brown gravy and sauerkraut.
Serve with mashed potatoes, brown gravy and vegetables.
Serve with spaghetti and marinara sauce.

MAIN
- 1 cup brown lentils, cooked
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup oats, pulsed in blender 5x
- 1-1/2 cups fresh tomatoes or other steamed vegetables chopped small
FLAX EGG
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup water
SPICES
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste

Mix dry ingredients together: lentils, rice, oats and dry spices. Mix wet ingredients together: tomatoes or other steamed vegetables, flax egg and tomato paste. Mix dry and wet ingredients together. Allow brief 5m rest for oats and flax powder to absorb moisture. Shape into patties or balls. Bake convection toaster oven 400F 20m.
Last edited by michaelswarm on Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelswarm

Re: Possible Burger

Postby sirdle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Excellent! I'll give these a try.

As an antidote to 'burger' insanity, here is another easy to make alternative:

========================================

Veggie Burgers - Cathy Fisher

Instead of using bread or buns (which are overly processed), I eat these veggie burger patties as seen below, or halved, in romaine lettuce leaves (making a “burger boat”). They also make great leftovers, crumbled onto a green salad or baked potato, or hearty traveling or hiking snacks.

Preparation note: While it’s not necessary, cooking the rice the night before and refrigerating it will make the burger mix firmer and easier to shape. Or make the entire recipe and refrigerate it the day before cooking, which allows the flavors to blend thoroughly.

Veggie Burgers
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 65 mins
Total time: 1 hour 25 mins
Serves: 10 (makes 10 patties)

Ingredients

1 cup water
½ cup dry/uncooked short-grain brown rice
1 can cooked kidney beans (15 ounces; about 1½ cups), drained and rinsed
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
½ large yellow or white onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
6 medium white or cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 2½ cups)
¼ cup tomato paste or ketchup
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil

Or

Spicy Italian sausage mix (I don't know where I got this, but it might have been Jeff Novick)

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
3 teaspoon cayenne
5 tablespoon fennel seed (this seemed like a little much, might have copied it down wrong)
2 teaspoon crushed chili peppers
5 tablespoon paprika

Optional extras: sliced tomato, avocado, onion, lettuce, ketchup, and/or mustard

Instructions

1. Bring the water and rice to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, uncovered. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid still on.

2. Add to a large bowl: the cooked rice, beans, oats, onion, mushrooms, tomato paste or ketchup, garlic, oregano, chili powder, granulated onion, cumin, and basil. Stir until the ingredients are evenly mixed.

3. So as not to overload the food processor, transfer only half of the burger mix into it and pulse a few times, just until everything sticks together. (If you do not have a food processor, see Notes.) Place this processed mixture into another bowl. Process the remaining half of ingredients in the same way, and then add to the first batch.

4. Shape the mixture into patties 3 to 4 inches wide and about ½-inch thick. Preheat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. (If you do not want to use a nonstick pan, see Notes.) Depending on the size of your pan, cook 2 to 4 patties at a time, cooking each side for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. Serve on romaine lettuce leaves with traditional burger toppings, such as tomato, avocado, onion, ketchup, and/or mustard.

Notes

No food processor? No problem. Just mash your beans first with a handheld bean masher or fork, use quick-cooking rolled oats, and finely chop the onion and mushrooms.

========================================

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning