covert greens

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

covert greens

Postby Grammy Ginger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 pm

I threw some sweet potatoes under my newly planted citrus hedge last spring. As a living mulch, they cool the ground, a much-needed thing in hot, hot, PHX, AZ summers. After cutting back the vines again and again for the compost pile, I remembered an anecdote about a third world country. A few children in each village thrived, while the majority languished with malnutrition. It seems the thriving children's mothers mixed sweet potato leaves with their rice rations. Soooooo...I began using my abundance of sweet potato leaves as a spinach substitute. They taste pretty good.

Maybe one or more of you will file this idea in the back of your minds for future reference. I'm glad I remembered. Now, my greens are really, really local.

It's ok if nobody responds as this is a very "out there" post.
Grammy Ginger

Re: covert greens

Postby Langeranger » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm

No apology needed GG. You post reminds me that in addition to the many merits of the McDougall WOE it affords some fun in unexpected ways now and then. Don
Langeranger

Postby pundit999 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 am

This is interesting.
When I go to the Chinese local store to get greens, I see all kinds of leaves in there including potato leaves.
I need to try them.
Thanks for sharing.
pundit999

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Sweet potato stems are a traditional Korean cooking ingredient.

https://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/sweet-potato-stems
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 am

pundit999 wrote:This is interesting.
When I go to the Chinese local store to get greens, I see all kinds of leaves in there including potato leaves.
I need to try them.
Thanks for sharing.

I trust you mean sweet potato leaves and not potato leaves. The leaves of the potato are toxic as they contain solanine - this is the same toxic on the tuber when it turns green.
Pumpkin Pete

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning