pie 'crust' from oatmeal - no added fats needed

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

pie 'crust' from oatmeal - no added fats needed

Postby EvanG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:28 pm

I tried something the other day that worked out great. From the title, the idea is making a pie crust from oatmeal. I've made an apple 'pie' this way about three times, altering things a bit, and it comes out great. I'm guessing that this has been done before, but I haven't seen it, so here goes.

Basically, the concept is to make an apple pie filling, and just put it on a bed of oatmeal instead of pie crust. I've never loved pie crusts, and they are generally not good for you. It turns out that oatmeal makes a nice non-crusty bottom for a pie.

The amount of oats that you put on the bottom is completely adjustable to your tastes, but I used about 1 cup for a 'pie' with about 5 medium to large apples. For the pie filling, I cored and sliced the apples, and then made a spice mix by putting another 1/2 cup to cup of oats in the blender to make a coarse oat flour. To the oat flour, I added some apple pie spice. In my case, this was cinnamon and some chinese 5 spice mix, because I don't have 'apple pie spice' sitting around. I also added some sugar to the filling mixture, but that is optional. Just mix up the spice/flour/sugar mixture and toss it in with the apples. Then add the apples to the oat bed, and then add some water. I used about 2 cups of water per cup of oats on the bottom. I didn't include the oats that went into the filling in the 2:1 ratio. Then bake. In my opinion, it's best if the oats at the bottom end up on the dry side, so that they stick together after the pie cools.

It's delicious, and if you really love oatmeal, it makes a great addition to more oatmeal at breakfast.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning