Pepperoni substitute

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pepperoni substitute

Postby wycoff » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

I recently took a shot at making a vegan pizza with whole-wheat flour, yeast, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, etc, and I used a vegan italian sausage. The results were fairly enjoyable.

I'd like to make a pepperoni vegan pizza, next.

Is there a vegan pepperoni or vegan mozzarella that anyone can recommend that would be suitable for a vegan pizza?

Thanks,

-Donald
My weight loss vlog: The Felton scale-down
Day I started diet: Day 1 on McDougall
wycoff

Re: Pepperoni substitute

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 am

wycoff wrote:Is there a vegan pepperoni or vegan mozzarella that anyone can recommend that would be suitable for a vegan pizza?

Donald,

Rip Esselstyn (in Engine2 Kitchen Rescue) demonstrates making pizzas with extra tomato sauce, no cheese (not even vegan cheese), and lots of vegetables. I’ve seen him use peppers to substitute for pepperoni and sausage tastes. Roasted red bell peppers, roasted poblano, pickled jalapeno and crushed red chili flakes are all good substitutes. Rip also sprinkles some nutritional yeast over the top, for cheese like taste, though I have not tried this myself.

In my experience, pickled peppers are closer in taste to pepperoni and sausage than fresh, probably because of peppers are used in making pepperoni and hot sausage and something in the curing process.

One of my favorite combinations is fresh tomato, red onion, spinach, pickled jalapeno and pineapple.

At our house Saturday is pizza day for the kids. They help making the dough (like play dough, but they get to eat it), then they add tomato sause and choose their own toppings. The habit comes from their preschool, where the teachers and kids make bread together for lunch every Thursday. Trying to improve my 100% whole wheat doughs, but the kids are happy with anything.

Home made pizzas are a labor of love.
michaelswarm

Postby wycoff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

That sounds delicious! I hope I can find the pickled peppers. Is there a particular brand you would suggest?
My weight loss vlog: The Felton scale-down
Day I started diet: Day 1 on McDougall
wycoff

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 pm

wycoff wrote:That sounds delicious! I hope I can find the pickled peppers. Is there a particular brand you would suggest?

I think almost any brand will do. While most are unlikely to include sugar or oil, you will probably find colorings and preservatives.

Here in Mexico pickled jalapenos are most likely found in cans by brands like La Costena. Any kind of pickled chili should work, including Greek pepperocini. Even mix and match. Might find close by the salad condiments, or in the ethnic-Hispanic section. But I make my own with just vinegar, water, jalapenos, carrots, garlic and a pinch of salt. I get to control freshness, salt and preservatives.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning