Stir fry sauce recommendation/recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stir fry sauce recommendation/recipe

Postby MickeysBackyard » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:10 pm

Can anyone share their favorite stir fry sauce, either commercially available or preferably homemade? I'm looking to start this WOE tomorrow and am heading to the grocery store to stock up on rice and frozen veggie mixes tomorrow morning. Thanks!
MickeysBackyard

Re: Stir fry sauce recommendation/recipe

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Welcome,

Here are a few sauces from the site. Just search on the main site (not the forum), for something like "recipe stir fry sauce" for example. You will get pages of recipes to explore.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/aug/recipes.htm

Have fun!
michaelswarm

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 am

I don't use a recipe, just make up my own.

In a small cup I will add a little cornstarch, then stir in some water (I may have to add extra water to my stirfry if I've used a bit too much cornstarch, but I worry about that later, I tend to like a thin sauce). I will add some soy sauce to the cup, or coconut aminos. If I want it to be a bit sweeter, I'll add a touch of sugar (but not if I've used coconut aminos.)

Usually my stir fry will already include a lot of onions, garlic and fresh ginger, or you can grate some fresh ginger and use in the sauce separately. Adding raw thinly sliced green onions to the stir fry when it's completed cooking adds a nice tough too.

Another option I do is add coconut aminos and curry powder to a stirfry, but it's not an Asian flavor then, but more Indian. But the combination of coconut aminos and curry powder is one of my favorite (also with onion, garlic and fresh ginger.)
AnnetteW

Postby MickeysBackyard » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks!!

AnnetteW, that's exactly the type of recommendation I was looking for! I'll give this a go, the coconut aminos and curry powder sounds wonderful :)
MickeysBackyard

Postby MickeysBackyard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 am

Just an update for anyone who likes easy meals like me! I found a "stir fry" combination that is magical and it's ridiculously simple:

Rice
Steamed veggie mix
Ginger stir-in paste
Coconut aminos
Sweetener/salt on surface as needed

I personally find this doesn't actually need stir-frying. I just make the rice in my rice cooker, steam the veggies separately, and then mix a portion of 50/50 rice/veggies in a big bowl. The coconut aminos, ginger paste, and sweetener/salt are added as necessary to balance the flavor of the veggie mix I used. I'm using sucralose drops as the sweetener (which I know Dr. M doesn't recommend). The Gourmet Garden ginger paste I found in the produce refrigerated section isn't as healthy as fresh ginger, but at least it doesn't have any oil. Ingredients are fresh ginger, dextrose, glycerin, fructose, sea salt, sodium ascorbate, citric acid and xanthan gum.
MickeysBackyard

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for the tip on the ginger paste! I’ll check it out.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning