The rice solution

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The rice solution

Postby McCarlos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello folks this is my first post here and I'm so grateful to have stumbled upon this wonderful news about eating properly.
Thank you so very much Dr. McDougall
My question is; Are we suppose to be throwing out the rice water when we cook rice? Short of Steaming rice this is the outcome of cooked rice. Are we losing all kinds of starch by doing so? Should steaming rice be our only choice then?
I mean isn't it starch that we are needing?
TIA
McCarlos

Re: The rice solution

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Do you cook your rice “pasta style”?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby McCarlos » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 pm

I do both ways of cooking rice. When I "pasta style" I feel I am throwing away perfectly good Starch.
This is what I need to know - wether we should be throwing out that starch water in favor of having fluffy rice.
McCarlos

Postby Daydream » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 pm

McCarlos, welcome to the forum!

I cook my rice "pasta style" to get rid of the arsenic so I do throw away the rice water. Do what gives you the most peace of mind.
Daydream

Postby debknott » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am

Mary McDougall is the first one I ever heard advocating cooking rice in the pasta style, so I'm sure the McDougalls believe that cooking it that way is just fine.

I also prefer it cooked that way because I don't like my rice to stick together too much.
debknott

Postby McCarlos » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:30 pm

for now I'm mainly using rice/potatoes in a soup setting or stew, this way I can take advantage of the starch that is released by the starch in the water soup/stew. This the most palatable solution for me, very quick and less wasteful.
McCarlos

Postby EvanG » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:07 am

The amount of starch on the outside of the rice that is absorbed into the water is very small. What remains is still mostly starch. So, it is fine if you want to recover the small amount of starch that is left in the water after boiling potatoes, rice, or pasta. But, if you throw that small amount of starch away, what you are left with is still mostly starch. In other words, you do not lose much to the water.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby kimba » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:45 am

How do you cook rice pasta style?
kimba

Postby debknott » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

kimba,

It's really easy to cook rice this way. You just use a way larger pot than you would usually use for rice, put three or four times more water than your rice recipe calls for in the pot and get it boiling. Put in however much rice you would normally use, and let it boil freely, uncovered, giving it an occasional stir to make sure none is sticking. I normally make brown rice, and when done this way it is done in 25 - 30 minutes. Taste some to tell when it's done. I think white rice only takes 10 or 15 minutes, I don't remember for sure, but you can test taste and decide when it's just right. I love rice cooked this way. Hope you like it to.

Deborah
debknott

Postby kimba » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:14 am

Hmm... I'll have to give this a try. Never heard of cooking it this way. I have jasmine rice in my kitchen, I like that one about the best. Thanks so much.
kimba

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning