Corn Chowder

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Corn Chowder

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 pm

I made this recipe yesterday. It's pretty good and filling. I am not a 'thyme' fan though so next time I'll try something else, maybe curry! The recipe was in a recent McDougall Newsletter. I used 3 packages of frozen corn (too lazy to cut corn off the cob).

CREAMY CORN CHOWDER
By Lydia Reyes
This recipe was sent in by a subscriber and it is a delicious way to use some of the fresh corn that is available now. Lydia says it may also be made with frozen corn.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 6-8

2 ½ cups diced potatoes, cooked
2/3 cup finely chopped white onion
4 ½ cups vegetable broth
5 cups fresh sweet corn (off the cob), 7-8 cobs
2 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon rosemary, slightly crushed
¼ teaspoon thyme, slightly crushed
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the potatoes in water to cover until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Place the onion in ½ cup of the vegetable broth and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of the corn and ½ cup more of the broth and cook for another 5 minutes. Add 2 more cups of broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer in batches to a blender jar and process until smooth. Return to pot, add the cooked potatoes, the remaining vegetable broth and corn, and the bay leaves, rosemary and thyme. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves, season to taste and serve hot.

Hint: If you have an immersion blender the soup can be blended right in the cooking pot (as long as you are not using a non-stick pot because you might damage the coating) and eliminate the step of transferring the soup to a blender jar.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning