How long can foods be stored in the fridge?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How long can foods be stored in the fridge?

Postby Mrs Sunny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:10 am

Hello, I feel already embarrassed to fill the forum with my stupid questions again and again, but I'm still learning. :oops: :D

I'm looking for some info how long which foods can be stored in the fridge. In the past I reheated leftovers the following day else they were thrown away. But I am a busy working mom and would like to prepare more stuff for myself. I used to prepare bean salads for three days the last weeks, but always felt insecure about it.

How long can I store

- boiled potatoes?
- homemade hummus from boiled chickpeas?
- cooked rice?
- overnight oats?
Mrs Sunny

Re: How long can foods be stored in the fridge?

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:44 am

Hi Mrs Sunny,

I eat all the foods you list regularly.
I've kept boiled potatoes and home made hummus in the fridge for up to week.
I rarely store oats as I only prepare the amount I eat for breakfast.

Greater care needs to be taken with cooked rice.
Below is a link to a food tip series I write about plant foods.
Scroll down the page and click on the food tip for U which is about how to store cooked rice properly;
https://sites.google.com/site/qhuccommunitygarden/peter-s-food-tips-from-our-garden

Finally you should use a thermometer to confirm that your fridge cools sufficiently - 40 degrees F (that's about 4.4 degrees c)
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Fortunately your sense of smell and sight will let you know when those foods have turned. Most items for me last 3-5 days. Prepared dishes without salt do not last long (salt is a preservative), but vinegar helps food last longer, so if you make a bean salad with a vinegar dressing it will last longer than plain unsalted beans.

My sister usually batch cooks on Sundays and portions out her meals for the week, which lasts until Friday. You could feasibly do the same.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mrs Sunny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks, Pete. My compliments to your site. Very useful to me!

If you have rice which you are not going to eat immediately then it needs to be refrigerated
(under 5 degrees) as soon as practical – within two hours, but preferably even sooner.
Refrigeration doesn’t kill the bacteria but will slow down growth.

Some foods are or can be cooled down easily in that time. What do I do with let's say a stew?
Mrs Sunny

Postby Mrs Sunny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks Lyndzie. Usually I don't use salt while cooking anymore but maybe a little bit would help in my case then?
Mrs Sunny

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:47 am

Mrs Sunny wrote:Thanks Lyndzie. Usually I don't use salt while cooking anymore but maybe a little bit would help in my case then?

I’m not advocating for adding salt, but letting you know how it all works. You can always freeze food for later as well.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning