Instant Pot "baking"?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Instant Pot "baking"?

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi there,

Have any of you ever made anything like banana bread and/or muffins in your Instant Pot? I've heard and read that you can "bake" in one, but have yet to attempt doing so as cooking times and pressure releases in any recipes I've seen have been all over the board.

Thanks, in advance! :)
Mom+Me

Re: Instant Pot "baking"?

Postby calvin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm

I've made this several times

Kim Campbell's Instant Pot Lasagna
Instant Pot Lasagna

and it was well received by others...but especially by me. :lol:

The following cassarole (barely*) fits in my Instant Pot

corningware-1-5qt-casserole-with-glass-cover-white

The bottom of the cassarole reads "Microwave and Oven Safe" but in my experience it has so far proven to be Pressure Cooker safe also. And the whole project beats the heck out of heating up the kitchen with a gas oven. Just writing about this is makin' me hungry. 8)

*A pair of heating pad gloves and the use of the trivet which comes with the Instant Pot for lowering into and lifting out of the IP.
calvin

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 pm

calvin,

Thank you for the recipe, video, and Corning Ware links. Yum, it looks delicious and yes, who wants to heat up the kitchen with the oven in the Summer?!

Do you have a 6 or 8 quart IP? Do you use the glass lid on the Corning Ware for this recipe? LOL--I guess manufacturers are going to have to start advertising "Electric Pressure Cooker Safe" or not.

Thank you!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby calvin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:24 pm

...Do you have a 6 or 8 quart IP? Do you use the glass lid on the Corning Ware for this recipe?

Yes on the glass lid. And I have the cassarole sitting in shallow water on top of the trivet

There is no Model number on my IP itself.
The User Manual cover says it applies to both Model IP-DUO50 (meaning 5qt) AND IP-DUO60 (meaning 6qt).

The stainless steel inner pot has a cups/liters scale stamped into its wall. But I do not find that scale to be accurate.
Nevertheless, the top of the scale says "MAX" and 5qts fills mine to MAX so I assume I have the 5qt.
The inner diameter of the pot is 8.625 inch = 8 5/8 inch = 22 cm...which makes that cassarole a tight but doable fit.

I'm guessing a family would want the 8qt IP and a larger cassarole.

Nov 2015, I paid $86 on Smile (so coming up on 4yrs of user-friendly cooking). The metal rim of the IP lid has worn through some of the coating on the rim of the cooker itself and there is rust there, but it does not get into the food so I haven't Yelped about it. 8) I wonder if others have noticed this.

Checking reddit.com/r/instantpot now.
calvin

Postby debknott » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:49 pm

"Nov 2015, I paid $86 on Smile (so coming up on 4yrs of user-friendly cooking). The metal rim of the IP lid has worn through some of the coating on the rim of the cooker itself and there is rust there, but it does not get into the food so I haven't Yelped about it. I wonder if others have noticed this."

You can easily buy replacement pots from Amazon. I don't think they are too expensive.
debknott

Postby Mom+Me » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 am

calvin, Thank you for answering my questions so promptly and in such detail; I appreciate it!

We started with the 6qt. in February of 2017 for $79 at our local Wal-Mart. Then for Black Friday later then year, Amazon had the 8qt for something like $83--couldn't pass that one up! The idea was to have 2 going, the 6qt say with rice + the 8qt with a bean dish, etc., but that hasn't happened too often due to lack of counter space and having to be careful we don't blow fuses. That happened when using the IP + an air fryer. :eek: Many appliances nowadays are very high it wattage.

Unfortunately we've had rust not on the rim of the pot, but on the inside of the lid. :-( Seems as though the condensation builds up too much when we use the Keep Warm setting for some hours.

By the way, we've kept the 8qt out for daily use. Might as well cook more potatoes, etc. with every batch or at least having the option to do so if desired and/or needed.
Mom+Me

Postby calvin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:52 am

debknott wrote:You can easily buy replacement pots from Amazon. I don't think they are too expensive.

I should have been clearer.

There is "pot" as in stainless steel "inner pot", unlikely to ever corrode and yes affordable.

Then, there is "pot" as in "cooker" which includes exterior pot, cooker housing, heating element, control panel, handles, etc.
The exterior pot is coated with a sort of non-stick film of some sort.
Over years of closing/opening, the lid metal has worn through that coating, exposing the underlying metal to corrosion.

A minor disappointment in the grander scheme of IP things. :)

A design change to prevent this would no doubt result in a more expensive cooker.
calvin

Postby debknott » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm

You are right that I misunderstood. Sorry I couldn't help you. :)
debknott

Postby Mom+Me » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 am

Well, I caught some of a presentation on QVC this past Sunday when they were selling an IP. They mentioned the cake feature and then showed a very moist, dense "paradise cake" that was made in the IP. She mentioned 45 minutes, but not if it was natural pressure release, etc.. So, it can be done. When things eventually slow down a bit (not sure when that will be), I'm going to tackle this project once and for all and try making a no added fat, vegan cake. I'll share the process and results--hopefully good right off the batter...err...I mean bat. :wink:
Mom+Me

Postby debknott » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am

Mom & Me,

My husband made a wonderful cheesecake in the Instant Pot. When the time was expired the cheesecake was damp on top and didn't appear to be quite done. I suggested he pop it in the oven for a few minutes, and it came out done perfectly and with a nice brown top.

I mention this in case something similar happens with your cake.
debknott

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 am

debknott wrote:Mom & Me,

My husband made a wonderful cheesecake in the Instant Pot. When the time was expired the cheesecake was damp on top and didn't appear to be quite done. I suggested he pop it in the oven for a few minutes, and it came out done perfectly and with a nice brown top.

I mention this in case something similar happens with your cake.

Thank you, debknott; that's a great idea! Although I originally was hoping to make a banana or zucchini bread/cake in the peak of summer heat, by the time I may tinker with making a cake, I wouldn't have to worry about heating up the kitchen to finish it off cooking-wise.
Mom+Me

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning