Some Dal expertise required

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Some Dal expertise required

Postby Mrs Sunny » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Hello, I cooked, or at least tried to cook, a dal yesterday.
I used yellow split peas (1 cup) and brought it to a boil with 4 cups of water. Maybe I have to mention I used a real big pot - so more than enough space for the peas and the water. As soon as it started to cook, it boiled over. The whole stove looked frothy :-( When I put the pot aside everything collapsed into the pot again and I skim the remaining froth away. Then I put the pot again on the stove top, everything cooked without overboiling.

In the end I had a great dish and a messed up stove.
What did I do wrong?
Mrs Sunny

Re: Some Dal expertise required

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:07 am

Sounds like you are on the right track - you just turned down the heat a little too late.
I often cook various types of legumes in a large pot to make thick soups. The first ingredient is always the legume before I add other ingredient depending on how long they need to cook through. Initially I turn up the heat and bring the pot to a boil. Once it boils I turn down the heat and bring the pot to a simmer. Usually I fill the pot to the brim so if I was to maintain high heat the contents would boil over. Seeing it's such a large pot with the lid on I can simmer at a very low setting which is sufficient to cook the contents.
When bringing many types of legumes to a boil you will get froth. I remove most of the froth with a large soup.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Mrs Sunny » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:01 am

Thanks for the hint! Yes, I cooked (or tried to cook lol) it on high heat. For the next time I know better. :nod:
Mrs Sunny

Postby Plumerias » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:09 am

Oh, I excel at making a mess of my stove, but what the heck, it's washable! NEVER turn your back on that pot as it's coming to a boil. For me that's the biggest thing, because sure as I am not watching it, it boils over in a flash! I find that bringing it to a boil slowly allows me to skim the gunk off more easily. Then I turn it down all the way before I put the lid on and start the timer, but how low is an individual thing depending on your stove. You're after a simmer here, not a rolling boil. Do stir regularly, as it thickens faster on the bottom and can stick and burn, even in a non-stick pot. I'm thinking mostly of red lentils, as that's what I use most often. Consider adding a small quantity of turmeric, like a quarter teaspoon, which, according to Indian cooking, is a digestive aid. Don't add the salt until the end and don't over salt. Keep playing, you'll get it!
Plumerias

Postby Willijan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:08 pm

When I'm cooking on the stovetop and bringing something to a boil, I turn the heat up to high and leave the lid off until it is at full boil. Then I turn the heat to low and partially cover the pan with the lid, and set a timer on the stove. After 3 minutes (depends on amount of food), I check to see if the boil is beginning to decline. Then, or a few minutes later, I put the lid fully on. Check as necessary.

If you're cooking something you make regularly, you can learn about how long it will take to be able to cover the pan fully. For 3/4 cup dry oats and 1 1/2 cups water on my stove, it takes 3 minutes. Larger quantities will take longer to begin to come down.

This problem is a major reason I cook in the instant pot much more than on the stove. No worry, as long as you follow directions. If you're cooking something that foams a lot, like split peas,don't fill the instant pot as full or you could have a mishap.
Willijan

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning