Cream of Wheat & Flax

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cream of Wheat & Flax

Postby Pecan6 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum and to this way of eating. Couple of questions as I'm starting out and struggling with figuring out my menus.

1. Cream of Wheat (aka Farina). Can I eat this? If so, what do you recommend I put on it to make it a little more interesting? In the past, I've eaten it with butter, but I know that's out.

2. Flax Meal. Anything wrong with flax meal, peanut butter, and cinnamon?

Thanks for any guidance.
Pecan6

Re: Cream of Wheat & Flax

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 am

Much depends on context of what are your goals, and where you are currently at. For example, if just getting started, and transitioning from bacon and eggs, than getting started and replacing animal foods with plant foods is a good start.

I think it’s good to know the principles, and decide for yourself if you want to try for 100% compliance or less.

Pecan6 wrote: 1. Cream of Wheat (aka Farina). Can I eat this? If so, what do you recommend I put on it to make it a little more interesting? In the past, I've eaten it with butter, but I know that's out.

Farina is coarsely milled white wheat flour. Not as good as wheat berries (whole) or whole wheat flour. Check out Bob’s Red Mill Cream of Buckwheat as alternative. Or many wheat berries if you’re ok with whole grains. You can even have brown rice for breakfast. I like a little fresh fruit. You can also try cinnamon.

2. Flax Meal. Anything wrong with flax meal, peanut butter, and cinnamon?

Most commercial peanut butters have added oils, emulsifiers and preservatives, and I would not touch those. Plain natural peanut butter is better, but still processed and high calorie density. If needing to lose, then not a good idea. If at a healthy weight, then probably ok in small amounts, say a couple of tablespoons for flavor in a recipe. No problem with flax meal or cinnamon.
michaelswarm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning