Cooking Pizza

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cooking Pizza

Postby Hal » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:25 pm

I was pleasantly pleased to see a McDougall Pizza recipe in my in box today. It uses a 'dough hook' and a 'stone' cooker.
What is the best brand model choice for these tools? - it sounds like a better solution than dealing with the oven in the stove in the kitchen as i have done in the past, and kneading by hand is a lot of time and effort.

I'm thinking pizza slices are the ideal summer travel in the car and visit food for someone who is not kitchen savvy. :) Thanks.
Hal

Re: Cooking Pizza

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Hal.

A dough hook is a mixer attachment. To make the recipe without a mixer, simply combine the ingredients in a bowl, then when it becomes a shaggy dough, knead by hand for a few minutes, then continue with the recipe as written.

A pizza stone is widely available and fairly affordable. Amazon has quite a few, around $25. Here is one example: UNICOOK Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling Stone, Baking Stone, Pizza Pan, Perfect for Oven, BBQ and Grill, Thermal Shock Resistant, Durable and Safe, 15x12 Inch Rectangular, 6.6Lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGV3RS4/re ... kDb7SBRFYP

Happy grilling!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:42 am

When I used to make pizzas many moons ago, I never used a pizza stone. I had a variety of plain old pizza trays from the grocery store and lined them with non-stick foil or parchment paper when they got old. Eventually I did buy a pizza stone at Bed, Bath, Beyond with a coupon and never used it and wound up donating it to a local charity.

For the kneading, I had a bread machine and used to make up the dough in that. My food processor also came with a bread dough blade and now and then would use that, instead. I never owned a Kitchenaid mixer because I rarely baked anything but bread, but know that they do have a dough hook attachment, too.
VeggieSue

Postby moonlight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:34 am

A pizza stone sounds like a good idea but I was never impressed. You have to remember to put it in the oven early to preheat. It's heavy. Takes up kitchen space. I never thought the hassle was worth the result. Mine is in my attic. I need to take it to the second-hand store. Thanks for the reminder!
moonlight

Postby Hal » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Great. Thanks for the opinions, all.
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning