How many Avocados (Haas) is recommended? And Olives?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How many Avocados (Haas) is recommended? And Olives?

Postby rortiz77 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:19 am

How many Avocados (Haas) is recommended? Is it ok to have 1-2 per day? Or half of one per meal?

Also, is olives ok? How many per serving is good?
rortiz77

Re: How many Avocados (Haas) is recommended? And Olives?

Postby Drew_ab » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Avocados are not required on this plan, though you can use them as a condiment if you like or to create some great guacamole! For people at a healthy weight, for those who are highly active, or who seem to have trouble keeping their weight up, they are a great addition. If you are trying to reverse something like cornary artery disease it may be another story. We know that a plant-based diet low in fat is able to do this. We have less data on what happens when you start adding whole foods fats like avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.

Having said that, 2 avocados a day does seem like quite a bit of fat. Can you give us a little more background about yourself and why you are inquiring? There is no requirement for olives on this plan either. My initial concern with olives is the high salt content that usually accompanies them.
Drew_ab

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I started writing this but accidentally hit “preview” instead of “submit,” and it looks like Drew and I had similar thoughts. Great minds think alike!

—-

A serving of avocado is 1/4 a whole (or 2 tbsp guacamole). How much you can eat depends on if you are at a healthy weight and maintaining other biometrics. Depending on your situation, 1 serving per day can be fine if at a healthy weight.

A whole avocado is about 250 calories, and 23 grams of fat. If you eat two, you are up to 500 calories and 43 grams of fat. I cannot envision a situation where eating this amount of avocado would be recommended on this diet program. If you are hungry, eat more starch.

Olives are also a high fat food, and extremely salty. I think 5 is a serving?

I like avocados and olives, and am an acceptable weight, so I do enjoy them, but not everyday. To keep rich foods to a minimum, I will have one serving of one kind at dinner, otherwise next thing you know you’ve added 500 calories of condiments to meals. For instance, I’ll slice kalamata olives on my pasta, or avocado on a taco. But, considering how calorie dense they are, I really keep them as a condiment to a meal.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby rortiz77 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 am

Drew_ab wrote:Avocados are not required on this plan, though you can use them as a condiment if you like or to create some great guacamole! For people at a healthy weight, for those who are highly active, or who seem to have trouble keeping their weight up, they are a great addition. If you are trying to reverse something like cornary artery disease it may be another story. We know that a plant-based diet low in fat is able to do this. We have less data on what happens when you start adding whole foods fats like avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.

Having said that, 2 avocados a day does seem like quite a bit of fat. Can you give us a little more background about yourself and why you are inquiring? There is no requirement for olives on this plan either. My initial concern with olives is the high salt content that usually accompanies them.

Ok, this was helpful. I'm trying to lose weight and I've heard confusing statements about how Avacadoes are "good fats" so don't avoid them. But I never really got a good handle on the quantity that is ok to eat. I'm 5'10 and 274 and my goal is to get back to my college days of 180.

So I think my "take away" from this is to either avoid it for a while or take a small serving of 2 tbsp for the day.

Thanks!!!
rortiz77

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:57 pm

rortiz77 wrote:
Drew_ab wrote:Avocados are not required on this plan, though you can use them as a condiment if you like or to create some great guacamole! For people at a healthy weight, for those who are highly active, or who seem to have trouble keeping their weight up, they are a great addition. If you are trying to reverse something like cornary artery disease it may be another story. We know that a plant-based diet low in fat is able to do this. We have less data on what happens when you start adding whole foods fats like avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.

Ok, this was helpful. I'm trying to lose weight and I've heard confusing statements about how Avacadoes are "good fats" so don't avoid them. But I never really got a good handle on the quantity that is ok to eat. I'm 5'10 and 274 and my goal is to get back to my college days of 180.

So I think my "take away" from this is to either avoid it for a while or take a small serving of 2 tbsp for the day.

Thanks!!!

The official McDougall recommendation for high fat foods like avocado and olives is only occasionally, in small amounts IF you are at your healthy weight. Avoid them if you are trying to lose fat. This also includes other high fat plant foods such as soy beans, tofu, nuts, and seeds. If you need to lose weight, you need to stay away from the high fat foods even though they are "healthy fats"

The problem is, fat goes straight from fork to storage. The body doesn't need to metabolize it much for it to get tucked away into fat cells. For me, needing to lose about 100 lbs, I'm staying away. If I have a feast day (which I can't think when, until Thanksgiving) Then I *might* have avocado. Or I might choose pistachios :D which I also love! Rare treat.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning