Is the vegetable oil in supermarket bread significant?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is the vegetable oil in supermarket bread significant?

Postby European man » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:51 pm

I know Dr McDougall says "No oil!" Before I went on the McDougall Diet nearly two months ago I ate a lot of ordinary supermarket bread (wholemeal). I've stuck 100% to the diet and I've got my blood pressure much better along with other things. I really miss eating half a loaf a day of bread. That was a big part of my staple diet. I'm baking my own bread now to avoid the rapeseed oil, etc. It's a bit of a pain though, although maybe when it becomes routine the baking won't be so much bother.

Anyway are you all sticking to the diet as closely as me and avoiding any bread with a bit of vegetable oil in it? And does it matter the amount of oil there is in bread?

Please don't suggest buying Ezekiel bread or something like that because it costs way too much here in the UK!
European man

Re: Is the vegetable oil in supermarket bread significant?

Postby vegman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm

If you like whole wheat, there are things you can eat that are easier to prepare than bread, such as pasta and cracked wheat.
vegman

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 pm

Admittedly, I’ve done both. Right now I’m baking my own bread, too. If you make two loaves at a time, it will cut down on how often you have to bake. The recommendation is to avoid all oil, no matter how trivial, it’s just a matter of how closely you want to follow the rules.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Yes, I'm sticking very closely to the diet, including eating absolutely no oil from any source.

I don't usually eat much bread. Lately, I've been having lentil burgers, and I eat them on whole wheat pita bread that has no oil in the ingredients. I can't get these locally, so I order them online, a case at a time, and freeze them.

We also have oil-free bread, unfortunately with seeds, and oil-free whole wheat bagels, available in the local stores. My husband eats these.

From reading Dr. Esselstyn and Dr. McDougall, I think it is absolutely essential to avoid all oil if you want to be healthy, especially in the long run.
Willijan

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi EM,

Am in the UK too and find it quite hard to find compliant bread. I tend to go for sourdough which usually has no oil. Another complication is that they often contain palm oil which quite apart from environmental issues is bad for you as it's solid at room temperature (in the UK at least). I have made my own too so you could invest in a breadmaking machine perhaps???

Best of luck
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 pm

I too bake my own bread. I have now been doing this for the past three years.
I use 100% wholemeal flour and bake two loaves at the one time. I pop one into the freezer.
It usually takes a week to consume a loaf but it stores well as I wrap the loaf in a tea towel and place it in a plastic bag and store it in a fridge.
The bread baking process takes a little effort but once you do it a few it becomes habit.
I invested in a quality mix master which simplifies the process significantly.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby PJK » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 am

If you're concerned about the fat content of packaged bread, check the label. 1 gram of fat = 9 calories. So you can calculate the percentage of total calories from fat. Remember that anything under 10% is considered low-fat.

Here's a quick example. Sara Lee Honey Wheat Bread, which I picked at random, is 70 calories per slice, and each slice has 1 gram of fat, which gives you 9 calories from fat. Now 9 is about 13% of 70. Since 13 is higher than 10, that's not low-fat. You can do the same with your favorite brands.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sara-Lee-Hon ... z/10533916
PJK

Postby cuddles » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:18 am

I am seriously considering making my own bread. I have never made bread at home before. What type of bread is everyone making?
cuddles

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning