Pioneer Gingerbread

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pioneer Gingerbread

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:58 pm

With today being Father's Day I baked the Pioneer Gingerbread recipe following the recipe from Forks Over Knives by Micaela Kareisen, MSPH. DH says it is better than what his mother used to bake and it has no eggs or oil or anything else bad except it is sweet. I don't bake very often because we just don't need it, but highly recommend this recipe, however, for taste and ease of preparation. Doesn't require a mixer to put together, just two medium bowls and the baking dish. No oil needed for the baking dish. I use a glass 9x13 dish and just pour the batter in. No parchment paper or anything required. I also use half buckwheat and half oat flour. Buckwheat is a heavy flour but this gingerbread still comes out light. I should not eat this at all but admit I usually have a very small piece. But pay for it the next day with tender joints.

If DH had his way I would cook this every week but save it for special occasions. First time I baked it was for Valentine's Day.
Bkworm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning