Macaroni Salad

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Macaroni Salad

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Ok, now that summer is here - arrived in Florida a long time ago - looking to make various salads for full meals. Have several from Mary McDougall including a potato salad that DH and DS love. Use red potatoes for that one along with regular onion and green onions. Love her Rainbow Salad, too, as well as Texas Caviar. Also make what my husband and son call a kitchen sink salad with either leaf lettuce or Romain lettuce as the base.

Would really like a great Macaroni Salad recipe. Have looked several up online and in all my cookbooks but they seem rather bland. Any suggestions? Maybe some chopped, fresh broccoli, a bell pepper of any color, pickles, maybe thin-sliced cucumber, celery, but what else and in what proportions and what would you use as a dressing? Will be using 100% buckwheat macaroni which does have a rather stronger taste than most pasta.

Thanks for any input.
Bkworm

Re: Macaroni Salad

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:20 pm

The best pasta salad I’ve had is Fat Free Vegan’s A to Z Pasta salad.

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/02/t ... salad.html

Use whatever veggies you like. I like cherry tomatoes, asparagus, zucchini and bell peppers. I dressed it with red wine vinegar mixed with onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and a sprinkle of sugar. Sounds odd, but that is store bought Italian dressing minus the oil.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Macaroni Salad

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks, Lyndzie,
I printed the recipe out and DH and DS have read it and say it sounds good. So I have one dinner planned for this week.We will decide what combination of veggies we will use as we make up the grocery list.

Thanks so much for your quick response.
Bkworm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning