Losing weight when I don't want to. How do I keep my weight?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Losing weight when I don't want to. How do I keep my weight?

Postby European man » Mon May 27, 2019 4:06 am

Hi newbie here and new to the plant based diet. I've been on it 23 days mainly for my high blood pressure. I'm already getting great results. My systolic is down 15 to 20 points. So thank you very much to Dr McDougall and all the other giants in the same field.

When I started my BMI was fine (22) so I'm not looking to lose weight. Unfortunately I've lost about 14 pounds! I'm having trouble getting enough starch into me. I look up the nutritional details of everything to try to maximize the calories per hundred grams. Potato doesn't seem to be much good. Only 91 calories per 100 grams. So even a kilo (which is a lot of potato) would give me only 910 grams when I need they say 2,500 in a day. Eating a kilo of potato doesn't sound very practical.

Beans are much better with more like nearly 400 calories per hundred grams. I don't want to eat beans all the time though.

I've not been eating bread but I see Dr McDougall and also Dr Esselstyn are happy to eat bread. Eating bread would be an easy way of increasing my calorie intake but all the bread in the UK seems to have oil in it and I know the two doctors are very anti oil.

Does anyone have any tips for NOT losing weight on a plant based diet? Also is there anyone in the UK that knows of a supermarket brand of bread that doesn't have oil in it and not too much salt?

Thanks for any help.
European man

Re: Losing weight when I don't want to. How do I keep my wei

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 am

Perhaps this Dr. McDougall newsletter article would be helpful? https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/jul/030700puhowdoigainweight.htm It is in reference to gaining weight, but the basic principles would apply to avoiding weight loss, as well. Regarding breads, if you can find any of the Ezekiel / Food For Life breads in your location, they are generally whole grain and also free of added oil. https://www.foodforlifeuk.com/products/food-for-life-frozen-ezekiel-low-sodium-sprouted-bd-680-g

(edited to add links I originally neglected to embed :lol: )
Mark Cooper

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning