overnight oats

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

overnight oats

Postby kimba » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 am

Does anyone have a good recipe for overnight oats?
kimba

Re: overnight oats

Postby PJK » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

Very simple. In a bowl, combine 1/3 to 1/2 cup (depending on your appetite) of rolled oats with an equal amount of water. Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight.

In the morning, stir and eat. If you want it warm, microwave for 30 seconds or so. You can also add a splash of nondairy milk, cinnamon, fresh fruit, maple syrup, etc.
PJK

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 08, 2019 11:42 am

Also, I find them too mushy for my tastes if left overnight, so I simply combine them in the morning and let it sit for 30 minutes while I tend to other things. My recipe (I eyeball this) is 1/2 c oats, 1 c almond milk, 1 tsp chia seeds and 1 tbsp raisins. Add a sliced banana on top and dig in!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby JeffN » Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 am

Just as an FYI, by using only a 1:1 ratio of water to oats instead of a 2:1 ratio, you increase the calorie density of the recipe by about 60%, (from around 300-350 cal/lb for regular rolled oats to about 500-550 cal/lb for overnight oats using a 1:1 ratio). For many, it probably wouldn't matter, but for some, it might.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby chowbby » Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 am

Hi Jeff,

Can you please calculate the calorie density of oat groats cooked in water overnight with a 4:1 ratio? I tried to find a calculation method online, but could not. Is there an app? Also, I have read that there is no nutritional difference in choosing the groat, but I still gravitate to it over other oat forms due to trying to eat as unprocessed as possible. Some people say the only difference is a miniscule amount of fiber when comparing groats to other oat types. Do you believe there is ANY added benefit to eating groats prepared 4:1 with water as compared to other oats or cooking methods--altered glycemic response, for instance?

IH ;-)

Teri
chowbby

Postby JeffN » Sun May 19, 2019 10:13 am

chowbby wrote:Hi Jeff,

Can you please calculate the calorie density of oat groats cooked in water overnight with a 4:1 ratio? I tried to find a calculation method online, but could not. Is there an app? Also, I have read that there is no nutritional difference in choosing the groat, but I still gravitate to it over other oat forms due to trying to eat as unprocessed as possible. Some people say the only difference is a miniscule amount of fiber when comparing groats to other oat types. Do you believe there is ANY added benefit to eating groats prepared 4:1 with water as compared to other oats or cooking methods--altered glycemic response, for instance?

IH ;-)

Teri

There is no specific program to calculate calorie density that I know of. While there are ways to average it, exact calculations must be done by hand. You can enter your original recipe into CRONometer and then redo it with increased water to get the answer.

In regard to the different forms of oats

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9430

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning