Turmeric

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Turmeric

Postby TJ81 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:22 am

I have a question. How much turmeric is suggested for eating daily? I need help with inflammation and I have turmeric powder. I tried putting some in a mix of fruit to take but put too much in and it tasted horrible. I don't feel I get enough just putting it in my rice. I don't know how to just "eat" a teaspoon full. What is a proper dose and any suggested ways to get it? Thanks! Oh, on the bag of turmeric it says one serving is 1 tablespoon full which is 7 grams of turmeric. That seems like a lot to me. Again, thanks for the help.
TJ81

Re: Turmeric

Postby calvin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:03 am

I recently discovered fresh turmeric (~$0.80/oz) at my local Sprouts. Looks kinda like ginger root, only smaller. The tubers are about the size of my fingers. I grate about 1/2 inch into almost every meal. And I like to think it is more potent since it is relatively unprocessed this way. :roll:

But if you're into antioxidant heavy weights, pick up some amla powder.

Amla vs. Cancer Cell Growth
Amla vs. Drugs for Cholesterol, Inflammation, and Blood-Thinning
The Best Food For High Cholesterol
Amla vs. Diabetes
Better than goji berries
etc.
calvin

Postby pundit999 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Consume it like Dr Sanjay Gupta does:

Some almond or soy milk, half a teaspoon or so of turmeric powder, a bit of grated ginger and cinnamon. Warm it up a little and drink like tea. Amazing.
pundit999

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

TJ81 wrote:I have a question. How much turmeric is suggested for eating daily? I need help with inflammation and I have turmeric powder. I tried putting some in a mix of fruit to take but put too much in and it tasted horrible. I don't feel I get enough just putting it in my rice. I don't know how to just "eat" a teaspoon full. What is a proper dose and any suggested ways to get it? Thanks! Oh, on the bag of turmeric it says one serving is 1 tablespoon full which is 7 grams of turmeric. That seems like a lot to me. Again, thanks for the help.

There is no recommendation to eat Turmeric on the McDougall Program and any claims that Turmeric is a super-food, a great anti-inflammatory or anything else are exaggerated.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 pm

To echo Scott, herbs are only recommended in culinary amounts.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby openmind » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:38 pm

TJ81 wrote:I have a question. How much turmeric is suggested for eating daily? I need help with inflammation and I have turmeric powder. I tried putting some in a mix of fruit to take but put too much in and it tasted horrible. I don't feel I get enough just putting it in my rice. I don't know how to just "eat" a teaspoon full. What is a proper dose and any suggested ways to get it? Thanks! Oh, on the bag of turmeric it says one serving is 1 tablespoon full which is 7 grams of turmeric. That seems like a lot to me. Again, thanks for the help.

Before I ran across McDougalling, I tried every herb, supplement, Ayurveda, acupuncture etc. in the book for my wife's diabetes.

My advice: stay away from it, focus on your food. Even if there is some truth to the power of turmeric, it's never going to make the kind of difference fixing your diet will make. And it may very well hurt you, just like any supplement.
openmind

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:15 pm

I will add some more context to my first post above:

I suffer from 5 diagnosed autoimmune diseases and have tried turmeric, ginger and other herbs/supplements that are supposed to reduce inflammation and none of them have had any impact on me. I have tried them for months at a time. I doubt it helps at all for someone already on the McDougall Program or any other program that eliminates animal products, dairy, fried/cooked oils, etc.

~Scott
Ltldogg

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning