Braggs vs Maggi

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Braggs vs Maggi

Postby Salo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Can somebody tell me if these are somehow the same?
In some recipes I read about Braggs Liquid Aminos. When I see the bottle I instantly have to think of Maggi. Just wanted to know if these products are the same kind of liquid spicing. Since I cannot buy Braggs here, I could use Maggi then from time to time.

(Funny: Using Maggi in your kitchen is somehow a proscribed behaviour here. People rag each other when they hear someone uses it. "Oh, can't you cook? I would never use such a thing..." But believe me, in each kitchen I was in the last 34 years, I found a bottle of that damn liquid spicing :D )
Salo

Re: Braggs vs Maggi

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 am

Bragg's Aminos is very similar to full sodium soy sauce. Can you get that, or the lower sodium version of soy sauce that Dr. McDougall prefers we all use?

I'm not sure what Maggi is. When I look on-line I see tomato based sauces, noodle mixes, etc., but nothing comparable to Bragg's Aminos.
VeggieSue

Postby Salo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks for your explanation. I just looked for a lower sodium soy sauce today and could find Kikkoman Less Salt Soy Sauce (the green bottle...It still has a lot of salt though :-( ) But maybe I could order Braggs via Amazon. I will have a look.

And yes, Maggi sells sauces and that stuff, but I meant this here:
https://www.maggi.co.uk/products/world- ... seasoning/
Salo

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm

The soy sauce you found has less salt than the Braggs. The serving size is different, so it will appear that Braggs is the better choice, but the Kikkosmans is actually lower in sodium.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sirdle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Lyndzie wrote:The soy sauce you found has less salt than the Braggs. The serving size is different, so it will appear that Braggs is the better choice, but the Kikkosmans is actually lower in sodium.

I thought the product page was confusing.

Am I reading this correctly?

Maggi - 25.35g salt per 100 ml
Kikkoman - 9.1g salt per 100 ml

Since a tablespoon is about 15 ml...

Maggi = 3,802 mg / tablespoon
Kikkoman = 1,365 mg / tablespoon

FYI, Trader Joe's sell a reduced salt soy sauce at...
Trader Joe's = 460 mg / tablespoon

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 am

sirdle wrote:Maggi = 3,802 mg / tablespoon
Kikkoman = 1,365 mg / tablespoon

FYI, Trader Joe's sell a reduced salt soy sauce at...
Trader Joe's = 460 mg / tablespoon

Some stores sell coconut aminos at 270 mg per tablespoon. The taste is a little sweeter than regular soy sauce, and unlike that Maggi sauce, no MSG.
VeggieSue

Postby Salo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:55 pm

Thank you all for your answers. I found a 1 liter / 33 fl oz bottle of Kikkoman and ordered it. Our local Aldi sells Trader Joe's products from time to time - I'll keep an wary eye on their offers. :nod:
Salo

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning