Does fat makes you absorb veggies nutrients better ?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Does fat makes you absorb veggies nutrients better ?

Postby fish72 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:14 am

Hello Dr. Novick,

I am new to the forum, So first I wanted to thank you and Dr. Mcdougall for sharing your videos, Articles and highly appreciated time and energy. I can feel it is a work of LOVE.

I lost 52 pounds in about 4 months period by eating Low Card High Fat Diet, But became aware of the health risks it will bring in the future, And then turned into Dr. Mcdougall diet for the past 2 months, And i do enjoy the food.

Dr. Mcdougall and Dr. Esselstein recommend the minimal (If any) use of oil in eating a Wholefood Plant Based Diet, Although Dr. Furman and others reffering to some studies that shows improvment in absorbing nutrients from vegetables while using added oils.

One study for example :
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/1 ... 41/4652010

The reason I'm asking this is because I live in Israel and I LOVE Tahini sauce. It help me with my daily vegatables salads intake, And I feel like I cant eat vegetables salad without it. (I add 25 grams of natural Tahini (1 full Tbsp) twice a day to a big bowl of salad).
I also use 1 Tbsp of olive oil to a daily pot of lentil/Beans soup I make.

The total calories of the added Taini and Olive Oil are about 450 calories a day, And I feel kind of stuck in my weight for the last 2 months, And would like to be enlightened about the subject.

Thank you
fish72

Re: Does fat makes you absorb veggies nutrients better ?

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:30 am

Hi there- I've seen this topic come up a few times, so thought I'd jump in to recommend a few posts that will answer this for you- very interesting reading indeed here:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5939

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27515&p=274654&hilit=absorption#p274654

I love tahini too and use a decent amount of it, but I'm not trying to lose any weight. In your case as you are, it would be good to try and reduce your use as it is very calorically dense (I highly, highly recommend Jeff's Calorie Density presentation on Youtube if you haven't already watched that). And definitely get rid of the olive oil.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the forums! Lots of very knowledgeable people here who follow the McDougall program, as well as of course the experts like Jeff Novick.
OneLeggedPig

Postby fish72 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:55 am

OneLeggedPig wrote:Hi there- I've seen this topic come up a few times, so thought I'd jump in to recommend a few posts that will answer this for you- very interesting reading indeed here:

Thank you so much for your time and help. I will read into the posts you've mentioned.

Happy Weekend !
fish72

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi,

I too use tahini as a dressing but I dilute the tahini. In a teacup I mix one part tahini (say a tablespoon) with water and lemon juice until the dressing becomes a little runny. I find tahini on it's own is very thick and can have an overpowering taste.

When getting to the bottom of the tahini jar mixing the thick tahini with water is the best method I have found to deal with the tahini.
I never use oil when making any dressing.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby Hal » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm guessing starchy vegetables have just the right amount of fat needed to absorb their nutrients.
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning