Looking to Replace Food Processor

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking to Replace Food Processor

Postby Bkworm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Currently having problems with my Kitchen Aid Food Processor. Purchased it from Costco within the past six years since starting this WOE. Have RA in my hands. Always had some difficulty opening and closing it but always managed it some how on my own. Then it was packed away in a POD for over 14 months while our home was being repaired and renovated.

Thanks to this WOE I don't experience pain in my hands but don't have much strength in my hands and no longer can count on being able to use it when I am home alone. Wait for husband or son to be here when I am using it but they are experiencing as many problems with it as I am although they can eventually get it shut and opened. I find this aggravating as all get out and very frustrating. I want to be able to prepare a recipe when I want to do so and not have to wait around on someone else being here.

So would appreciate any suggestions for brands, types, and models. Please keep in mind it must be easy to open and close. I watch videos on YouTube and no one else ever seems to have a problem using their processor. Also, the bowl, lids etc. must be able to be cleaned in a dishwasher. I could not wash this one in my old dishwasher but it fits beautifully in the new one which makes it even more convenient to use if I could just get it open and closed on my own.

Thanks in advance for any advice in selecting a new processor.
Bkworm

Re: Looking to Replace Food Processor

Postby Plumerias » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 pm

I know there have been other discussions on this subject, so you could look for them. We have a Cuisinart, the front of which says Prep 11 Plus. We've been in the RV for ten years, but I don't remember how long we had it in the house before that. Just last month we had to replace the bowl parts, as the plastic just finally got too tired and cracked. It is indeed easy to use, although it's heavy, well, the motor portion of it. Ours has to live in the cupboard, as there is no spare counter space in the RV kitchen, but if yours has room, the weight wouldn't matter. It cleans very well in the dishwasher, although you have to invert some of the pieces for them to drip dry. So yes, we'd recommend it. It is still listed online.
Plumerias

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:31 pm

I will tell you about my food processor, and while I love it, I don’t think it would be a good fit for you. In other words, do not buy the Cuisinart 14-cup food processor.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/re ... QCb79FEETK
It is the food processor recommended by Cook’s Ilkustrated. It’s also the one that Jane Esselstyn uses in her YouTube videos. It’s very heavy and takes some strength to snap together, but hasn’t failed a task yet (this thing whips up banana nice cream perfectly, homemade larabars and peanut butter).

Do you need full capacity? My mom has a cute little one that just snaps together and chops things up. I’ve used it to make Mary’s Wicked Chocolate Pie, but had to combine it in batches due to the size. Depending on what you use it for, it might be perfect.
Cuisinart DLC-2A Mini-Prep Plus Food Processor (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000645YL/re ... QCbS1GCZGC
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:20 pm

I've had a large Cuisinart for decades - probably over 30 years - they don't make my model anymore but I can still buy parts for it which I appreciate since I have had to buy new parts over the years. I've always hated the way the lid had to fit to operate. What a pain and a struggle. When Cuisinart had a blade recall and it took over a year to get the replacement.... I had to buy another processor to make my dog's food.

I bought a Ninja processor/blender combo at Costco. OMG, I love it and the Cuisinart is stored in the basement as a back up that I hope I never have to use. Thanks to neuropathy of unknown origin I have weak hands. I have no problems with this lid. When you put the lid on, there is only one way to align it - it's clearly marked. It's also easy to instantly release. Cuisinart was a pain to remove.

I'm making dog food in my processor weekly - it's a heavy mix similar to making cookie dough. It's a demanding task for a processor and the Cuisinart just didn't do as good job compared to Ninja. I also found Ninja made smoother banana ice cream faster.

I think the ability to open and shut the lid on the machine is part of the equation - what you want to do with it is another because some machines may be more effective for certain tasks than others.

You might find it helpful to go to a store where you can see the machines and see how they open and shut and if it works for you - then research and see what consumer's reports and cooks illustrated says is the right machine for certain tasks.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Bkworm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Thank you Vegankit, Lyndzie, and Plumerias for your quick responses,

I went to Consumer Reports but their reviews do not cover the ease of use or opening and closing of the unit. Have checked out other posts on this site and much of what I found is what the three of you have covered. Had to laugh, the top model they recommend on CR is only $400 which is way beyond my budget. Never heard of the brand either.

I plan to go to Walmart and Target this week and try some models. The base of my Kitchen Aid is very heavy and the bowl and top is also. Most of the time, I can get the unit put together to mix whatever I need to mix initially but if I need to take the top off to scrap something down, I can't get the unit apart. Then can't open the unit to pour the ingredients out. Understand the need for safety but would still like to be able to operate the unit on my own. In my kitchen I now have a double cabinet to just hold my small appliances but it is a bottom cabinet and is difficult to get my food processor and Kitchen Machine in and out of it. But I don't want my small appliances on my counter either.

My unit is large capacity. I lost my manual after Hurricane Irma so don't have any particulars on it other than it is a Kitchen Aid that I purchased on sale at Costco within the past six years.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Will let you know what I decide. Oh, CR differentiates between food processor and food choppers. They consider the Ninja processor a food chopper.
Bkworm

Postby Willijan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 pm

I have a Braun processor that I love. From the 80s until about 2 years ago, I had a Cuisinart, most recently the 14-cup, and I always loved my Cuisinarts. I like the Braun a lot better, because it is so easy to put together, take apart, and wash by just rinsing. It does go in the dishwasher

The base is quite light weight. The parts--bowl, blades, lid, chute--are much easier to put together than my Cuisinarts ever were. It works very well; I have had zero problems with it.

As far as opening/closing easily, it is notably easier than a Cuisinart. But I can't say whether it would be easy for you. Also, it isn't a 14-cup capacity. For pureeing soups, I use an immersion blender, which leads to a lot less work and fewer dirty dishes than a processor.

I tried a Ninja blender, and it worked very well, although I wasn't using it for as many types of recipes as my processor. However, I only used it briefly, because 1) it is very noisy, more so than a processor, and 2) it is tall and so it is difficult to do the necessary maneuvering because it is so high relative to the counter. I got rid of it.

I don't remember the price, but I don't think the Braun is especially inexpensive.
Willijan

Postby Bkworm » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks for your reply, Willijan,

Did not realize Braun made food processors. Have used other Braun appliances, just never thought about a food processor. So far all I have found in stores to look at and try have been Cuisinart and Kitchen Aid.

The top recommended food processor by Consumer Reports is a Breville brand which I have never heard of at all. The model they recommend is $400 and I don't really want to spend that much.

Thanks for your comments on the Ninja model. I am a short person to begin with. When they replaced the cabinets in the kitchen after the hurricane, we had the counter tops raised from the standard 36" to 38" per the AARP Aging in Place guidelines. Raising the cabinets two inches has been great for our backs plus it raised the actual cabinets the additional two inches. That gives the added benefit of being able to clean around the bottom of the cabinets with more ease when I sweep and mop the floors. I love the additional height for chopping, etc., but notice I do have a slight problem with higher appliances and cookware. Also, to clean the far corner of one of the counters between the sink and cook top, I stand on a very large catalog to be able to reach all the way back. Don't climb kitchen stools any more.

Again, thank you for your suggestions.
Bkworm

Postby Bkworm » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Also agree with you, Willijan, about the immersion blender. Use it for lots of recipes. Most recently I prepared a large pot of Mary McDougall's refried beans in the instant pot. Used the immersion blender to blend the beans in the same pot they were cooked in. Did not really understand how an immersion blender worked so had not purchased one. Then my husband suggested one and I love. Like you, it seems like it cuts down on lots of extra dishes and washing.
Bkworm

Postby Bkworm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:42 pm

So finally purchased a new food processor. Selected a 14-cup Cuisinart with just two buttons - On and Off/Pulse. Love the ease with which it goes together and comes apart. Have no problem with it even on those days my hands decide to be temperamental. Easily fits in the dishwasher, too. However, as Plumerias indicated for her Cuisinart model, the base is extremely heavy. I thought the base of the Kitchen Aid was heavy but it is rather light compared to this model. I believe it indicated the entire unit weighs 32 lbs which is almost all in the base. I was going to return it due to the heavy base as I knew I would not be able to lift it from a lower shelf of lift it down from a higher shelf. However, my DH helped me rearrange the pantry so it sits on the same waist-high shelf as the Instant Pot and I have no problem getting it in and out.

Did end up spending more on it than I had planned. But it was on sale on Amazon. However, I have used it at least once a day since it arrived and several days two or three times so know I will get our money out of it. Love the shape of the bowl.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Your suggestions were so useful.
Bkworm

Postby patty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:10 am

I am sure you will love your Cuisinart 14 cup. I have had the Cuisinart 11 cup, and loved it. I then changed to Kitchen Art, because they had a attachment for chopping veggies. It is the same principle of The Vidalia Chop Wizard https://www.amazon.com/s?k=The+Original ... nb_sb_noss It is a great addition to a food processor. It does take some strength to press down to cut the veggies. I too like the immersion blender. So happy you have recovered from the hurricane, it has been a long time.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Bkworm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks, Patty. It was a long time coming as we were in the rental 14 months. We are so greatful to have come through a very stressful situation with as few challenges as we endured. Liberty Mutual is our insurance company and we have nothing but praise for how they have handled our issues. The rental was nice but just not our own home. Right now we are in the process of waiting on yet another arbor permit to take out two more huge pine trees and a smaller oak that was damaged by Hurricane Irma. This is the third go around with the arbor service. Just too expense to have everything done at one time. Hurricane season started June 1 and we had wanted the work completed before the start of the new season. Don’t even know if the city is going to let the trees be removed at this point. Hope to get it all resolved by the first of next week.

Thanks again, Patty. I always look forward to your additions to these forums no matter the topic. Have received so much good advice from your posts.
Bkworm

Postby patty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Bkworm wrote:Thanks, Patty. It was a long time coming as we were in the rental 14 months. We are so greatful to have come through a very stressful situation with as few challenges as we endured. Liberty Mutual is our insurance company and we have nothing but praise for how they have handled our issues. The rental was nice but just not our own home. Right now we are in the process of waiting on yet another arbor permit to take out two more huge pine trees and a smaller oak that was damaged by Hurricane Irma. This is the third go around with the arbor service. Just too expense to have everything done at one time. Hurricane season started June 1 and we had wanted the work completed before the start of the new season. Don’t even know if the city is going to let the trees be removed at this point. Hope to get it all resolved by the first of next week.

Thanks again, Patty. I always look forward to your additions to these forums no matter the topic. Have received so much good advice from your posts.

Yes, hurricane season is here. 14 months is a long time to be in a temporary residence because of all the uncertainty of when? When I am in a anxious place, I try to remember the story of the woman on the bus, running up to the driver to see if she missed her stop. He tells her it is at the terminal. One of my Client's just had a huge Lychee tree removed. The root area was so large, they had special equipment to extract it and cut it up. I guess the tree wasn't bearing fruit or enough fruit anymore? A lot of families let their mango trees go. My Podiatrist shared they cut their Hayden mango tree down because they couldn't keep her mother in her 80's climbing to get the fruit. I hope you get the permission for your trees to be removed. Being in a hurricane the after effect keeps you proactive of what keeps you safe. It was sad Dr. McDougall couldn't return to his home, though I imagine his grandchildren are happy. Well be SAFE.

Aloha, patty

This is what scares me: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/green ... index.html
patty

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Just saw this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I had a Cusinart food processor for 40 years, and it worked just fine, but eventually the bowl developed a crack and I could not replace it. I bought a Breville and I just love it!

I also had a blender (Osterizer? Hamiltom Beach?) that was about the same vintage as the Cusinart, and it finally gave out. I thought the Vitamix was overkill for the way I use blenders, and so I bought a Ninja which was a piece of cr@p. It was difficult to clean in that the blade is tall and razor sharp. It does not fit easily into the dishwasher, in large part because there is no way to angle it in without risking slicing something it's touching. So I washed it by hand, gingerly, using a brush. It also has a long thin hole in the bottom and gunk gets into and it is very difficult to clean. I used Q-tips and bamboo skewers, with dubious results. In any case, it simply quit working after about a year. I'm planning to replace it with a Breville.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vegankit » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Just saw this thread and wanted to add my 2 cents. I had a Cusinart food processor for 40 years, and it worked just fine, but eventually the bowl developed a crack and I could not replace it. I bought a Breville and I just love it!

I also had a blender (Osterizer? Hamiltom Beach?) that was about the same vintage as the Cusinart, and it finally gave out. I thought the Vitamix was overkill for the way I use blenders, and so I bought a Ninja which was a piece of cr@p. It was difficult to clean in that the blade is tall and razor sharp. It does not fit easily into the dishwasher, in large part because there is no way to angle it in without risking slicing something it's touching. So I washed it by hand, gingerly, using a brush. It also has a long thin hole in the bottom and gunk gets into and it is very difficult to clean. I used Q-tips and bamboo skewers, with dubious results. In any case, it simply quit working after about a year. I'm planning to replace it with a Breville.

You might want to read the current Consumers Reports. Breville is ranked at the bottom for repairs etc. I don’t have my magazine handy so I can’t check exactly what they said except it was least reliable.

The Ninja blade fits easily in my dishwasher so I have no problem washing it.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Bkworm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 am

Again, because of RA I lost a lot of strength in my hands. So now I can no longer get my blender bowl and blade apart without help. Did research online and they recommend filling your blender half full of hot water, add a drop or two of dish detergent, then put the bowl back on the base and turn it on for a few seconds. Then I use a long-handle brush to swish out the bowl and blade, use a sponge to wipe the outside. Everything clean in just a minute or two.

Still loving the new Cusinart food processor I recently purchased. So easy to put bowl on and take off, so easy to put together and take apart. Find myself using it at least once almost every day. The base is very heavy. But my DH's solution to set in on a waist-level shelf in our pantry allows me to life it in and out without too much of a problem. Just remove the bowl first and then take the base out. The heavy base does have an advantage as the unit does not move at all when it is running.
Bkworm

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning