Bread Machine

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bread Machine

Postby hallelujah » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:02 am

Thinking about getting a Bread Machine. What is a good inexpensive brand. Im on a tight budget. Where did you get yours? Thanks, I want to make Marys 7 Grain Wheat Bread. :)
hallelujah

Re: Bread Machine

Postby calvin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Before you buy, are you aware of, and have you tried No-Knead bread making? It is far less laborious and just as successful in my experience with sour-dough bread making (using starter plus a ratio of 2parts unbleached white to 1part whole wheat flour and no salt).
calvin

Postby hallelujah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 pm

I make a 5 minute, no knead Artisan bread that is the best. I tried making it with whole wheat flour and didn't care for it. I want to try it again with half white and half whole wheat. That should be just right.
hallelujah

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:40 pm

I just started making bread again a few weeks ago. This is the recipe I’ve used as a jumping off point. It’s 100% whole wheat. No bread machine required. . https://rosemarysaltandthyme.com/daves- ... eat-bread/
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby dempseygirl » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I have an expensive machine, but you might consider buying one from a thrift store, even if just to try it out. I have seen several recently and most of them even include a whole wheat setting. If you don't like it, you won't have invested very much in the machine.

BTW, I use the basic recipe from Eating You Alive to make bread. I have varied the type of flour (wheat, spelt, kamut, a blend with rye/barley, etc.) and the sweetener (liquid or dry) with great results. It is a very reliable recipe.
https://www.eatingyoualive.com/recipes-eya/homemade-bread
dempseygirl

Postby littleblackdress » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:15 pm

hallelujah wrote:I make a 5 minute, no knead Artisan bread that is the best. I tried making it with whole wheat flour and didn't care for it. I want to try it again with half white and half whole wheat. That should be just right.

I use the NYT No Knead Bread recipe exclusively for baking bread. It's probably one of the Times' most popular recipes of all time. Jim Lahey (his original recipe and owner of Sullivan St. Bakery on W. 47th ) has a no knead cookbook and a no knead pizza book. But his techniques and recipes are all over the internet. I do all different kinds - white, whole wheat, pumpernickel, grau brot. You can also do a speed version so you don't have to wait overnight for the rise, just use hot tap water instead of cold.
littleblackdress

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning