McDougall Soups as base for dinner

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall Soups as base for dinner

Postby SeaGail » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Okay, I admit it. I'm a very lazy cook; however, I do love McDougall soups and have just started eating WFPB as of yesterday. I eat a large salad (very large) for lunch, and I used half a box of black bean soup as a base for dinner (adding quinoa and veggies to the soup). Does that sound reasonable? Is there anything wrong with doing that? I do eat tons of veggies, so it's not as if I'm just having the soup. I've ordered split pea, lentil, and garden vegetable. I love the soups, and by supplementing, I can easily stay on this way of eating. Maybe some day I'll be more energetic in the kitchen, but for now, this will keep me on the right path to reversing my recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gail in WA
Gail in WA State

SeaGail

Re: McDougall Soups as base for dinner

Postby openmind » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm

SeaGail wrote:Okay, I admit it. I'm a very lazy cook; however, I do love McDougall soups and have just started eating WFPB as of yesterday. I eat a large salad (very large) for lunch, and I used half a box of black bean soup as a base for dinner (adding quinoa and veggies to the soup). Does that sound reasonable? Is there anything wrong with doing that? I do eat tons of veggies, so it's not as if I'm just having the soup. I've ordered split pea, lentil, and garden vegetable. I love the soups, and by supplementing, I can easily stay on this way of eating. Maybe some day I'll be more energetic in the kitchen, but for now, this will keep me on the right path to reversing my recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gail in WA

Sounds very reasonable to me. The only caveat is that most of the McDougall soups have some sodium, so if you are trying to go 100% free of any added sodium, you are better off making the soup from scratch.

(Which is really not any harder than using a McDougall soup as a base, it might take just a couple of more minutes. You can buy Jeff Novick's Fast Food Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 and find soup recipes that are 100% free of any added sodium and take no more than 10 minutes each to prepare.)
openmind

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 am

Star McDougaller Mick Teehan wrote of a meal he called McDougall's Right Pie using potatoes, broccoli, and the original soup cups. He includes it in his Star story - just scroll down to his "after" picture to see it. When *I* make this, I get even lazier and use a bag and a half of frozen cubed-style hash brown potatoes, a brand with only potatoes as the ingredient.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ke-teehan/
VeggieSue

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:42 am

Hi SeaGal! Love the name. Veggies are great, no doubt, and the soups are fine, just make sure you are getting enough starch. I like to throw some chickpeas in a salad, or cold diced potatoes. And you can always just nuke a potatoes for dinner and top with salsa. Best to you!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SeaGail » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions! I just received my shipment of soups today, so I should be testing out my plan of action. I'm a little afraid to add potato to the soup (Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis in late November), but veggies for sure will be a definite addition, along with a side salad.
Gail in WA State

SeaGail

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning