best tin of black beans?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

best tin of black beans?

Postby Hal » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Just wondering what your all favorite brand of canned black beans is. The store i get mine is often out of my favorite. :)

Oh, and i confess to eating the thick liquid with the beans. The tins are no-BPA and there's nothing but beans and seaweed in the ingredients, but i thought i'd bounce it off the McDougall crowd as see what everyone thinks :) - the beans and liquid stirred in with chopped russet potatoes is great - it's almost like gravy, and that's probably just the seaweed giving it that texture, but is it OK to consume along with the beans?
Hal

Re: best tin of black beans?

Postby Idgie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 pm

We like the ones from Costco when we don't make them from dried.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Re: best tin of black beans?

Postby patty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 am

I don't have a favorite. I usually just purchase what they have. I bought a large bag of black beans from Costco. I have some soaking today. Some of them I will make into re-fried and leave the rest as is. If you enjoy the liquid making your own really would be a gift. I remember someone sharing the habit of soaking a cup or so in a quart jar. She would do this once or twice a week or how often she used beans. I have the tendency to make too many at one time. Her habit was more like making a fresh tin, when needed.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning