salad dressing

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

salad dressing

Postby Quinda » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:02 am

Kraft fat free thousand island. Has some additives plus corn syrup but is fat free. What do you think? Buy it or not?
Quinda

Re: salad dressing

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:13 am

Does it have oil in the ingredients?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 am

Remember, Jeff Novick says to never, EVER, believe the label on the front of any package. Look at the ingredient list, and you'll see that besides a bunch of unpronouncable chemicals it does, indeed, contain oil, so yes, it has added fat. The serving size is kept small enough so they round down the numbers so the nutrition label can say zero. Dr. McDougall allows NO added oil, no matter how small the amount.

And IIRC, Jeff also says if there's any mention of sugar in the first 4 ingredients, to skip it, too. Notice this label not only has high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient but regular corn syrup as the 4th, so in reality, sugar makes up the majority of the ingredients in this product.

There are very, very, very few store-bought salad dressings that are within the McDougall guidelines. You'd be better off going to the Recipe section of the website (use the dropdown menu above left under Education to find it) or use the message board Search (the white box in the upper right of each page here) and look for one already shared, or just go to the Food, Recipes, and Meal Planning forum and ask for suggestions. Salad dressings are usually pretty easy and cheap to make.
VeggieSue

Postby Quinda » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

You are right. thank you.
Quinda

Postby patty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:20 am

The McDougall Cookbook App has a search and you just type in salad dressing and a page will come up with links to 5 different recipes. It is great for shopping. And has tips about the ingredients. Dressings are a key issue and so simple to make. Jeff Novick’s Shopping dvd is great too. This is where you are going to save a lot of money to create a healthy lifestyle by smart shopping.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Quinda » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:37 am

thanks Patty, I'll check out the app right now.
Quinda

Postby wildgoose » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:56 am

If it’s Thousand Island you’re looking for, Mary's Tofu Island dressing is good, and it isn’t too hard to make.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/jan/recipes.htm

The silken tofu it calls for is shelf stable, unlike 'regular' tofu, so I order it online and keep it on hand. Of course tofu is a richer plant food, so if you’re trying to lose weight it might not be the best everyday choice. But it’s much, much better than any commercially bottled dressing.

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby SeekKnowledge » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:35 pm

Cathy Fisher is a culinary instructor for Dr. McDougall's program and True North.

Her website has a good article with suggestions about "homemade salad dressings"

http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2014/11/17/homemade-salad-dressings/

SeekKnowledge

Postby Grammy Ginger » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:26 am

Maybe you could try homemade hummus thinned with a little plant milk and add a little tomato paste and sweet pickle relish.
Grammy Ginger

Postby patty » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:Maybe you could try homemade hummus thinned with a little plant milk and add a little tomato paste and sweet pickle relish.

Sounds delicious. I imagine the thinned hummus would make it stick to the ingredients, which is what is missing when not using oil.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning