Got one of those miracle pans for Christmas..

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Got one of those miracle pans for Christmas..

Postby Hal » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I got a 'Gotham Steel' non stick frying pan for Christmas, from my nephew. Looks like i can try venturing into cooking with a pan again - i didn't get along with Teflon. :) I may try hash browns again. What's your favorite 'non-stick fry pan' recipe?
Anyone know if these new miracle pans are perfectly safe to cook with?
Hal

Re: Got one of those miracle pans for Christmas..

Postby Idgie » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm

The way I heard Dr. McDougall explain it once is that the health benefits of cooking oil-free in non-stick far outweigh any risks from the non-stick itself, and for me personally, that's the risk assessment I use. I use regular old non-stick and while it may kill me someday, it's not likely, but if I cook with oil and butter that's a whole different story.

The thing I make in my non-stick skillet the most often is hash. Leftover cooked potatoes or sweet potatoes, chopped onion and other veggies, paprika, black pepper, optional salt. Cook on medium low undisturbed until a crust forms on the bottom, then flip and do again. Second most often is to brown my taro and radish cakes, which are usually fried in Chinese cooking, but I actually have always liked them better dry-fried, even when I was eating oil.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Re: Got one of those miracle pans for Christmas..

Postby Hal » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks, Idgie. That sounds delicious.
Hal

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning