Is this recipe WFPB?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is this recipe WFPB?

Postby michellethenobody » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been on the WFPB lifestyle for around a couple of months now. I’m still learning but so far I’m absolutely loving it. :)

I have a question about this recipe - is it wfpb? I can’t find anything on tapioca starch/flour saying that it isn’t but thought I’d double check with you all.

https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/choco ... eam-vegan/

Thanks heaps.

Michelle.
michellethenobody

Re: Is this recipe WFPB?

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Tapioca starch/flour is a thickener. You could sub cornstarch or something similar in the recipe. I use cornstarch in my homemade ice cream for the thickener.

Just so you know - this is a total calorie bomb. Like, Ben and Jerry’s level of calories/fat. If you are trying to lose weight, lower cholesterol, etc, this is not going to help you meet those goals. But, if you are happy with where you are, it might be a nice treat sometime.

(Full disclosure: I have a batch of coconut milk-based peppermint ice cream in my fridge waiting to be churned. So, I’m not judging, I just want you to make a fully informed decision.)
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michellethenobody » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks heaps. Not trying to lose weight but definitely don’t want to gain either! I’ll use corn starch then when I decide to have it as a treat. :)
michellethenobody

Postby Vegankit » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

A better alternative definitely delicious is ice cream made from frozen bananas. It comes out like soft serve ice cream.

Here’s a search here on banana ice cream which should yield different recipes. search.php?keywords=Banana+ice+cream&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=5&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I make mine in a food processor.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby patty » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 am

Frozen bananas create a creamy texture though once made you can’t freeze. The fat from the coconut and almond butter is what allows it to freeze without the iceiness. After awhile you won’t miss having a ready made faux ice cream because the other is quick to make and just as satisfying. You can just mash a banana and add carob powder for a quick fix.

As Vegenkit shared a food processor is important or a blender. You can add a non frozen banana with the frozen to make it lighter to process.

Aloha, patty

Last night I put a couple of frozen bananas that were broken in half's, they weren't frozen completely, into a quart jar and used a immersion stick blender. It worked. I imagine if they were frozen solid I would have to add a splash of water. In the future in freezing I will cut or break into smaller pieces. The clean up was really easy.
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning